UKC

Train to Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ushuaia 09 Apr 2015
Might as well go straight to the top on the way past...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/09/china-may-build-rail-tunnel-un...
 Fredt 09 Apr 2015
In reply to alexanderjwatts:

"...Chinese tourism to Nepal, which is home to eight of the world’s 14 peaks over 8,000 metres, is also climbing...."
 Skip 09 Apr 2015

Madness. So glad i made the Llasha - Katmandu journey by bike 23 years ago.
 Trangia 09 Apr 2015

No doubt they will construct a viewing gallery so that passengers can alight from the train and view the dead bodies on the mountain. There are many more bodies on Everest than on the Eiger so it should be a crowd puller.......
Gone for good 09 Apr 2015
In reply to Skip:

> Madness. So glad i made the Llasha - Katmandu journey by bike 23 years ago.

Impressive!
 Brass Nipples 09 Apr 2015
In reply to Skip:

> Madness. So glad i made the Llasha - Katmandu journey by bike 23 years ago.

And me the year before. A great ride.
 Skip 09 Apr 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

That cycle trip was unplanned. We arrived in Llasha having traveled by bus from N. Pakistan. We decided we wanted to travel under our own steam to Katmandu in order to have more freedom to see "the real Tibet". We discounted walking due to the distances involved and lack of proper gear. We bought the only four cheap Chinese mountain bikes for sale in Llasha (imagine the type you buy in Halfords for £90) and cobbled together panniers made from canvas school bags (complete with Disney cartoon pictures), our repair kit consisted of some old inner tubes, glue and a spanner, along with a stirrup pump. We had one tent (though not for the whole journey) and a plastic sheet.

Also took a diversion to Everest base camp. Tis a wonder we survived.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...