UKC

Running on a sailing boat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 09 Apr 2015
I'm going to be spending about 25 days on a 30ft sailing boat over the summer. I may be able to go on to land every so often; not sure.
Either way, does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimise my running fitness loss while on the boat?
The water is too cold to swim in btw...
 Dave the Rave 09 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:
Get a treadmill.
In reply to JuneBob:

T25 or Insanity. Wont help your running but will maintain your fitness. Just need a gogglebox and DVD player/lappy and a bit of space.
 Roadrunner5 09 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

30 ft is tiny for 25 days?

Wow... there's guides on line some of the Airforces produced for air crew at sea. basically all different dynamic exercises. That's about as good as it will get. But 30 ft won't give you much space, nor will they like you jumping about if you are doing sleep shifts..

When I worked at sea for periods I worked on a boat big enough to throw a turbo trainer up, so I'd set it up on the bow and ride for an hour at a time.. you felt like you were powering the boat.

The other thing was jumping off for a run and meeting the boat down the canal? I did that for 40 miles through the caledonian... nice day out..

But I'd really plan food etc so when I hit land I could run for as long as possible in those days.
 Trangia 09 Apr 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Get a treadmill.

Useless without a plane as well
 Trangia 09 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Unless she's a cat, I think you will find it very difficult to run (if not impossible) whenever you are tacking - same goes for a treadmill, because of the list. Also if there is any sort of sea running you may find it difficult to stay upright without holding on. There is much room on a yacht, particularly something as small as a 30 footer.
 Gone 09 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Not much room to do anything on a 30 footer especially if you are not the only one on it. You could get some cardio exercise by prussiking up the mast or rowing the dinghy around.
 FactorXXX 09 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Go Viking/Galley Slave and do a bit of rowing...
abseil 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Get a treadmill.

Nice thought. But any UKCer can tell you that the boat won't move as long as anyone's running on the treadmill.
 Fredt 10 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Why not go swimming?
 wintertree 10 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

> The water is too cold to swim in btw...

Didn't know you could sail on ice, how do you get a keel in to tack?

Start your cold water training plan today...
 DWS gibraltar 10 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

High steps, swats, jogging on the spot. should keep you fit enough!
XXXX 10 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

You could do some sailing!
JMGLondon 10 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

If you're worried about losing fitness over 25 days at sea then you're probably a fairly well established runner, which means you'll recover the fitness in no time.

I'd just enjoy the sailing mate, and forget about running.

OP JuneBob 10 Apr 2015
In reply to JMGLondon:

Yours is my favourite answer. I was wondering about that, is 25 days quickly recoverable. I think I'll get some opportunities to run on shore, so I should be ok.

According to the online info I found, the water temperature reaches a balmy 4C while I'm there, and I don't like swimming in anything under 18C because I'm a wuss.

Thanks for the suggestions
 mbh 10 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:

Skipping?
 JayPee630 10 Apr 2015
In reply to mbh:

Skipping, burpees, intervals of both. There's an OK program that's called something like the Royal Canadian Air Force thing, that's a short no equipment very little space thing.
 Gael Force 10 Apr 2015
In reply to JuneBob:
Turn it downwind and you'll be running all the way...
Post edited at 13:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...