UKC

Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Calski 10 Apr 2015
I've had my plans for tomorrow messed up so am looking for something to do...does anyone know what sort of nick the I or II gullies are looking like? I have Castlegates on my list to do, but it's south facing. Anything still happening in t'Sneachda or Lochain?

I'm not looking for amazing conditions, just something to get out on!
 Andy Nisbet 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Calski:

Castlegates is east facing I'd say. I'm guessing it would be OK. Might not be snow all the way but definitely climbable.
 James Edwards 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Calski:

There are several gully lines at l and ii in snechda. I saw them this afternoon.
They are transformed snow ice in nature giving fast climbing if the prediction of a freeze comes this weekend.
James
Calski 10 Apr 2015
In reply to James Edwards: many thanks James and Andy, sounds like plenty of options.

Andy, most people would take your 'guess' as pretty close to fact!

Ron Walker 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Calski:

Photos from today and yesterday on my Facebook album at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.611468552287029.1073741874.124310...
Cheers Ron
Calski 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Ron Walker:
Cheers Ron, appreciate it.

C
 Andy Nisbet 10 Apr 2015
In reply to Calski:

> Andy, most people would take your 'guess' as pretty close to fact!

I'm playing safe, as you can climb Castlegates Gully in the summer, although it's not nice.

Duncan Beard 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Calski:

Nice easy little (4m?) ice pitch at the top of Castlegates on Easter Sunday. Loads of snow in the rest of it. Ice can be avoided on loose rocks on the left. More fun on the ice though.

t'Sneachda gullies pretty full of consolidated snow, had to avoid them after Good Friday due to cornice hazard, may be better now? It was thawing pretty fast when we left but some cold nights would restore good conditions for sure.
 andybrown114 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Calski:

Some great gulley conditions at the weekend. We did a few laps of the grade IIs and they were mostly in decent nick with even a couple of decent ice screw placements on the Runnel and Red Gulley. Plenty of life left in the lower grade stuff on Coire an t Sneachda yet!
Calski 14 Apr 2015
In reply to andybrown114:
Sounds good. We ended up doing some laps of Raibeirt on skis which was pretty nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...