UKC

Renault Kangoo Maxi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 11 Apr 2015
Evening all.

I'm in the market for a small van but not as small as a short wheel based Caddy, Berlingo etc.

Lots of research has taken me from a LWB Caddy through the Peugeot Partner to a Renault Kagoo Maxi.

Has anyone any experience of this van? In particular with regard to reliability, economy and what it's like to drive?

Cheers
 veteye 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Si Withington:

I tried the Renault for a day or so.
I was put off by the stupidly jolly looking screen in the dashboard which was too far forward.Who needs all that colour.It was not that fluid to use.
It drove like a bus.
I ended up w a VW Caddy Maxi,but the faster 2litre Diesel version.I also swapped the opaque bulkhead and solid black windows at the back.
I wish that they had had the old style Kangoo which I still have a version of that I have had for about 15 years!

I have a standard pannel kangoo maxi and like it, cheap to run, 2/3 of the price of a caddy maxi, I think the VW will drive a bit better. I use mine to drive round scotland manikly on twisty roads to find the best conditions and think its fine. drove to chamonix last week got 45mpg driving at 80 all the way
if you have the extra chash be worth testing the caddy.
 Dave Williams 12 Apr 2015

Be very wary of the Peugeot 1.6Hdi engine, which suffers from similar turbo failure issues in all its applications - Ford, Volvo, Mazda as well as Citroen-Peugeot. It appears to be highly intolerant of poor or incorrect servicing and problems quickly arise if poor quality or incorrect grade engine oil has been used or if preventative maintenance hasn't been carried out during servicing. Not so much an issue if buying new perhaps, but unfortunately, when buying a used vehicle, a FSH, even a main dealer FSH, is no guarantee that the engine's been serviced in such a way as to avoid premature turbo failure.

No modern diesel engine from any manufacturer is free of issues as manufacturers try and squeeze more economy from highly tuned (and consequently highly stressed) small capacity engines while on the other hand aiming for much reduced emissions. All modern diesel engines are inherently reliable though; the weak points are typically not the engine but the ancilliary parts - belts, tensioners, turbos, high pressure injectors, oil pumps let alone DMFs and DPFs. At the end of the day, it's simply a case of weighting up the pros and cons and going for what seems to be the best case option. Don't overlook van forum chatter - often more educational and illuminating than you'd think.

No such issues with the Renault 1.5Dci engine though. Sites like Honest John speak well of the performance, reliability and economy of this small diesel engine, which incidentally is also fitted to some Nissan and Mercedes vehicles.

I too would suggest you also take a look at a Caddy. I've been passengered in a LWB version quite a bit - and have come away with very favourable impressions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...