UKC

Caving in Cornwall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Merry 12 Apr 2015
I've found a few names of places online but struggling to find any locations,
Me and my family will be in Newquay for a week in August and my son and I would like to have a go at some caving, we are both experienced climbers and have all that gear, but we have never done caving, so nothing to dodgy but a bit more of an adventure and explore would be good,
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 Tom Last 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Merry:

Well known caves (mines) at Cligga Head just west of Perranporth. Not being a caver, I wouldn't know if they're relatively safe or spectacularly dangerous though.
 Lankyman 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Merry:

During several decades as a caver I never heard even the faintest references to Cornwall for caves. Devon is the closest for limestone caves (the kind cavers mean when they think 'caves'). Of course, there will be sea caves all over the place but it's unlikely they will be particularly long although some may form a vertical blow-hole that might resemble the kind of vertical potholes found in Yorkshire/Derbyshire. There are tin mines but I suspect they would be one way to a quick death for the unwary and un-knowing, rather like the copper mines found above Coniston. Caving equipment and climbing equipment are not the same thing although on the face of it there are similarities - ropes for a start. Cavers tend to use ropes for actual vertical travel rather than as a safety measure and the gear needed for this is not what climbers would normally have to hand (a dedicated SRT rig).
 Jenny C 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Lankyman:

> There are tin mines but I suspect they would be one way to a quick death for the unwary and un-knowing, rather like the copper mines found above Coniston.

Mines are wonderfully interesting to explore but also INCREDIBLY dangerous.
eg: 100yr old (rotten) roof supports and apparently solid floors which are basically just a pile of consolidated rubble.

> Caving equipment and climbing equipment are not the same thing ........... and the gear needed for this is not what climbers would normally have to hand (a dedicated SRT rig).

Just getting interested in caving and would agree that almost none of my climbing kit is suitable for caving use.
 jimjimjim 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Jenny C:

Your helmet?
 joelc 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Merry:

As already posted there's bugger-all in the way of actual caves in Cornwall so fell free to send me a pm & I'll try to dig out some contacts in Devon if you're passing through on your way back. Saying that, Devon is probably one of the least inspiring of the caving regions so nothing to get too excited about there!! The Dales, Peaks, Brecon Beacons, Mendips & Forest of Dean are the main ones, with North Wales, teeny bits of Northern Scotland & Devon being the lesser ones.
In reply to Merry:

Not much to add to the above, but if you wanted to see inside old workings, the Carn Brea Mining Society might be able to fit you up with something. They're genuine enthusiasts, have access to a lot of mines and are probably a bit less gung ho than some of the other mine exploration groups round here.

Other than that, there's always Carn Boel Cleft, which by bizarre coincidence I did with the kids on Sunday; it's about as close to a caving experience as you find in Cornwall and breaks up a lovely walk past Nanjizal.
 Tom Last 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

> Other than that, there's always Carn Boel Cleft, which by bizarre coincidence I did with the kids on Sunday; it's about as close to a caving experience as you find in Cornwall and breaks up a lovely walk past Nanjizal.

As a double coincidence, I was thinking of doing that today. Worthwhile?

In reply to Merry:

Numerous sea caves dotted around the coast, some walk to accessible, others climbing traverse access tide dependent. Godrevy to Newquay very interesting.
In reply to Tom Last:

Oh, it's a scruffy little thing, but the terraces at the start are lovely for a picnic and it's a good adventure for kids.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...