UKC

NEWS: Podcast: Ben Moon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Apr 2015
The Ledge - a climbing life podcast, 3 kbThe Ledge has published a podcast with Ben Moon, a climbing legend that really shouldn't need an introduction, especially not on a British website.
This first 75 min episode is about things like Hubble, how climbing has changed and evolved, chipping, grades, classic routes and style, in- and...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69651
In reply to UKC News:

Haven't had time to listen to it all, but what I did hear sounds like a great piece of work, well done Bjorn.
Ben has started publishing his training diary for 1990 on his website in the run up to the 25th anniversary of the FA of Hubble and the first 9A. Looks like it took 8 weeks from injury to train back up for the FA. The first two week section is full of laps on Raven Tor classics, bouldering at Stoney and Cressbrook Dale, and at home on the proto Moon Board on the indoor version of Hubble. No indoor training/climbing walls as we know them yet!
chalky.hands 14 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great, about time we got a decent uk podcast!
 spidermac 14 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Nice interview with Ben talking a lot of sense.
 JLS 14 Apr 2015
In reply to spidermac:
>"Nice interview with Ben talking a lot of sense."

Comes across as a sound guy. From all the old videos I've seen, he always appeared a bit aloof. Perhaps not in an "other planet" Dawes like way, but just on a different page to everyone else.

I have to say though, in the POD cast, there did seem to be a lot of all the normal human contradictions you get when you hear someone speak at length on questions to which they haven't really had a chance to think through and form their real opinion. He seemed to have the ability to simultaneously host opposing views or perhaps, I just need to listen again.
Post edited at 15:28
chalky.hands 14 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Not quite enormocast quality but a good effort none the less hope it keeps going!
 AlexBush 15 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Not had a chance to listen to the podcast yet but wanted to second the quality of the Enormocast (currently up to 78 interviews with the worlds climbing elite). A recent interview with Stevie Haston might interest a few on here.
 quiffhanger 16 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Anyone know if there's an RSS feed for these podcasts? I'd like to subscribe via my podcast app so I can listen in the car, etc.
In reply to quiffhanger:

If you get the podbean-app you can download it, yes.
Search for "theledge" (one word).
 Ian Bentley 23 Apr 2015
In reply to JLS:

I did enjoy this and I thought the content was good but seemed to be a bit hard to listen to in that the conversation was quite broken with short answers, awkward silences and repeating and explaining questions; didn't seem to flow well.

Might be an idea for future ones to ask more open questions (that can't be shut down with yes or no) and maybe give the interviewee some of the questions before so that as JLS says they are nicely formed opinions and not contradictions. Could therefore cut the time down a bit too (was 5min over my commute time so that's all it needs reducing by! because obviously this was made just for me and should meet my exacting requirements!) A bit of post editing could have the same effect I guess (This is where I find out it was originally a 3hr interview and has been cut down!)

Good job overall though. Made the M25 bearable and that's praise indeed!
 RyanOsborne 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Ian Bentley:

I agree with Ian, there was some interesting stuff to talk about, but I thought it could have been edited down a bit, or be easier to listen to if Ben had thought about the answers beforehand. Like the stuff at the beginning where Ben stumbles around for an answer and then says 'erm yeah, I don't really follow you there' and then the interviewer explains it a bit more and Ben says 'Erm yeah, I guess' or something similar. I know it's a balance to make it seem like a natural conversation, but could be slimmed down a bit to make it nicer to listen to I reckon.
 stp 24 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Good job but I'd just say the MP3 doesn't need to have a bit rate of 320 kbps. For speech 64 kbps is more than ample and the file size would be considerably smaller.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...