UKC

More conditions info required - Rum?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 14 Apr 2015
I know there's been a lot of requests for conditions info of late, so my apologies, especially as this is the usual 'should I/shouldn't I' request...........

Planning the Rum Cuillin this weekend, with an overnight at Dibidil. Thing is, would like to get away without ice kit if possible given the weight we'll be carrying anyway.

I am an experienced fella, as are my pals, and am hoping the lower, more Westerly nature of the island will mean we can take a view, especially given the recent rain and warming temperatures.

Anyone think otherwise, or have any local/recent beta?

Thanks
 malky_c 14 Apr 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

Fresh snow on Arran this weekend but it was all unconsolidated fluffy stuff. When I crossed the peaks west of Glen Rosa (Cir Mhor etc) on Friday afternoon (prior to the new snow) there was next to nothing left from the winter, and I didn't need to go near any of the remaining patches.

Obviously that's not Rum, but as the hills are of a similar height and out to the west on the coast, I imagine conditions will be pretty similar.
 Colin Moody 14 Apr 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

It is 10C today and raining on Mull, think you will be fine.
 Mark Bull 14 Apr 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

No significant old snow visible from the mainland over Easter, and I'm sure today's rain will melt any fresh stuff from last week.
 fmck 14 Apr 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

You would probably better carrying in some coal it will be more useful. There's a good fire place in Dibidil bothy but no chance of fire wood. Little chance of drift wood either as the coast is mostly rock. I did the traverse with a dusting of snow and didn't find the scrambles could of been helped much with crampons. If it gets a good cold spell and gets covered with ice maybe but I don't see that happening.
OP JohnnyW 15 Apr 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks folks, pretty much as I expected.

Oh, don't worry, the weight I am talking about is all coal and whisky!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...