UKC

Data Roaming/GPS - Tablet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 14 Apr 2015
I'm going to Spain next month and will be using my Nexus 7 Tablet for Satnav/GPS and occasional internet access.

I use Giff gaff but would be grateful for any tips about minimizing data roaming charges.
 ByEek 14 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Turn on airplane mode and only turn it off when you are happy to spend an exorbitant amount downloading maps.

Personally, I would disable network access and only access data via wifi.
 ianstevens 14 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Get a 3 simcard - free roaming in Spain (and others)
 Mike Stretford 14 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex: Download some offline maps for Spain if you haven't already, what's your nav/mapping software? I would also diable network access, there's loads of wifi spots in Spain, far cheaper to get a coffee/beer somewhere and use their wifi.

OP mypyrex 14 Apr 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> Personally, I would disable network access and only access data via wifi.

Surely not possible when you're driving from A to B and using the tablet as a satnav?

OP mypyrex 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> Download some offline maps for Spain if you haven't already, what's your nav/mapping software?

Google maps
> I would also diable network access, there's loads of wifi spots in Spain, far cheaper to get a coffee/beer somewhere and use their wifi.
See reply to ByEek

DancingOnRock 14 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Do gifgaf not do a data bundle.

I've just spent 4 days in France. I'm on EE, £12 for 7 days and used my iPhone google maps pretty extensively. Didn't get promoted to add any extra credit.

Edit: OUCH! No they don't!
Post edited at 14:17
 rallymania 14 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

how long are you going for? if i'm in europe for a week or more i just buy a PAYG sim from a local provider, top it up with some data and off I go...

(this all assumes your device is unlocked of course, it's unlikely that'll be a problem on the nexus though)
In reply to mypyrex:
> Google maps

> See reply to ByEek

Yes possible, there's free sat/ mapping software you can downlaod before you go ie not google maps.

search 'free navigation app' at play store and look for one with good reviews, or.....spend a fortune on data, and get stuck when you loose data signal.

EDIT: For the money you spend on data you could buy a good app with no ads and better maps.
Post edited at 14:30
 ByEek 14 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

> Surely not possible when you're driving from A to B and using the tablet as a satnav?

Fair enough. You will therefore be at the mercy of your tablet and the ridiculous prices charged for roaming. Certainly disable any form of app updates, podcast downloads and other under-the-hood data usage.

One word of warning though. If you are using Google Navigation it does kind of conk out if you loose the signal. I tried to use it when cycling from Shrewsbury to the middle of knowhere in Shropshire. All was going well until the last 5 miles when I lost the signal and all hope of finding my destination. Fortunately I managed to work out where I was from a very blurry map that was left.
 rallymania 14 Apr 2015
In reply to ByEek:

That is a problem! it's true that "if you know" it'll happen you can precache the maps in the advanced settings on google maps.... sod all use once it's happened obviously but if you are going somewhere you know you won't get a signal it's a useful safety net

ebygomm 14 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Data roaming on o2 is limited to 2 quid a day in Europe, is giff gaff not similar?
 Neil Williams 14 Apr 2015
In reply to ebygomm:

Though O2 get shirty (and kick you off the capped scheme onto the EU legal maximums) if you are a heavy user.
 galpinos 14 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

It's worth looking at 3 as in many eruropean contries it comes out of your allowance as if you were at home without any extra charges.

In your case, download the maps in advance?
 Neil Williams 14 Apr 2015
In reply to ByEek:

Might be worth considering Copilot or similar for satnav use, it isn't expensive and the maps are on your device.
OP mypyrex 14 Apr 2015
In reply to All:

Thanks for replies. As suggested I'm currently looking up Free Navigation Apps. In the mean time can somebody clarify what is meant(on some of the apps) by "off line maps".

Thanks.
In reply to mypyrex: Maps that are stored on your device, as opposed to Google's maps which are stored on googles computers and accessed via the internet.

OP mypyrex 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Mike Stretford:

In other words no need for internet connections, just GPS
 Mad Tommy 14 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Have you looked at oruxmaps? It works with both online and offline maps, and will link to a GPS signal to do navigation without touching data allowances.

5tormin' 14 Apr 2015
5tormin' 14 Apr 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

This gives you all paid apps.
http://android-zone.ws/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...