UKC

Equipment for Cordillera Blanca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cacheson 14 Apr 2015
Hi,
My girlfriend and I are heading out to the Cordillera Blanca in Peru this summer and are wondering what clothing/boots to take. We are both reasonably experienced winter mountaineers and have had 1 busy season winter climbing in Scotland. The plan is to try to get up some 6000m peaks...

We are planning on taking La Sportiva Nepal Extremes for boots. Will these be sufficiently warm? If not can you fit Neoprene overboots to them? Also will winter trousers be warm enough or will we have to get down ones?
The tent we are intending to use is a Terra Nova Superlite Quasar. It's stood up easily to some pretty bad storms which have blown other tents away, but the name superlite bodes ill...

Cheers,
Chris
 jonnie3430 14 Apr 2015
In reply to cacheson:

You'll be fine, I used the same kit for Blanca climbing. My experience of the temperature is that sometimes it can be -15 when you get up for your alpine start, so all kit on including belay jacket, but be aware that it is roasting in the sun, so by midday I'd want to have stopped and have found shelter. My first trip I nearly had heat exhaustion as the least clothes I had were a heavy baselayer and long johns and couldn't get cool enough after coming down from Nevada Pisco. The next year I was ready, this is me just under 6500m on the summit of Illimani, having stripped off the warm kit and ready for a sunny descent: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=80973110444&l=5c1b6432fc (yeti gaiters on nepal extremes, are not necessary.)
OP cacheson 14 Apr 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

Great thanks!
 JJL 14 Apr 2015
In reply to cacheson:

Over spec-ed if anything. I did huascaran and alpamayo in leathers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...