UKC

Singing Rock gear, your thoughts please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 16 Apr 2015
Good morning

A friend of mine has recently completed a climbing course and is now keen to get out onto rock, as well as continuing at the climbing wall.

She's asked my thoughts on this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Singing-Rock-Climbing-Packet-Medium/dp/B00CS0CVYI/r...

My reply was this: Well, it looks pretty, and I'm sure it'll be safe and functional. However it does look a bit thin, this can be an issue if you're hanging around (excuse the pun) on the rope re-attempting that elusive move. I've never heard of Singing Rock but will make enquiries for you.

The best thing is really to try-before-you-buy similar to a rucksack as comfort is a real issue.

Anyone heard of SR? and what are your thoughts?

VMT TtB
 elsewhere 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Tony the Blade:
my harness is singing rock, it's decent ce rated stuff.
 tony 16 Apr 2015

Singing Rock stuff is fine.
 Mike-W-99 16 Apr 2015

Tony, not used their technical stuff but what I have bought or seen has been good.

That vendor sells on ebay too and the one tiem I used them the service was excellent.
In reply to elsewhere:

Great and thanks
In reply to prog99:

Marvellous - I'll pass these thoughts on

Many thanks
needvert 16 Apr 2015

SR has a notable presence on shelves in Australia for a while.

I've got some SR locking carabiners and slings. They're not superlight, but seem as safe as anything else.

I've never overheard anything bad about the safety of their equipment.
 cfer 16 Apr 2015

I have pretty much only SR stuff and found it to be good, like people have said its not the lightest but my bumbling attempts wouldnt be improved by losing any weight

Also it matched my shoes haha
 deepsoup 16 Apr 2015

Singing Rock is fine.

But you were right when you said:
> The best thing is really to try-before-you-buy similar to a rucksack as comfort is a real issue.

I wouldn't buy a first harness online. I'd go to a proper shop with good staff, try on harnesses and have a dangle. Well worth paying a couple of quid over the cheapest online price. (And there's no harm in asking if they'll price-match the online price anyway.)
In reply to deepsoup:

Great - and thanks to all for your comments

I'll pass this thread on to her.
cb294 16 Apr 2015

Reliable albeit not always high end gear from the Czech Republic. Lots of it in use in the Elbe sandstone.

CB
 Ndawson 16 Apr 2015

I've seen them at the chamonix mountain festival with their new axes and gear set out next to big brands like petzl and BD

never used any of their kit though
 mzk 16 Apr 2015

I've had a Singing Rock harness for a year or so and have never had any issues. Pretty much still as good as new!

Decent gear.
 andrewmc 16 Apr 2015
Don't they make the DMM harnesses (I could be totally wrong on that)?
Post edited at 18:35
 Timmd 16 Apr 2015
If she was going to buy online, a Metolius Safe Tech harness has an adjustable rise, so it can be tweaked to be just right, so long as the padding is comfy enough and the features are in the right place.
Post edited at 19:39
 TobyA 16 Apr 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod:

> Don't they make the DMM harnesses (I could be totally wrong on that)?

I think they do, and for other brands as well. Aren't the various Czech brands (Singing Rock, Hudy Sport, some others I can recall) all part of the same big company? And that company makes most harnesses these days. Something a long those lines anyway.

pass and peak 16 Apr 2015

I Have 2 of their harnesses and their axes, can't fault them. UK importer is Total Access, go direct to them, axes can be hard to find on their site mind!
 Mike00010 17 Apr 2015

Singing rock is commonly used here in Malaysia and I've not heard of any problems with it.

I ve used SR arborist harness for tree surgery for 2 years and it's been excellent
 Timmd 18 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:
> I think they do, and for other brands as well. Aren't the various Czech brands (Singing Rock, Hudy Sport, some others I can recall) all part of the same big company? And that company makes most harnesses these days. Something a long those lines anyway.

I vaguely remember reading the same thing, or absorbing it somewhere.
Post edited at 15:34
 Steve nevers 18 Apr 2015

Tbh at that price she could walk into most gear shops in the UK and walk out with a similar package for @£70. Cant beat trying on and 'hanging' in your first harness for a bit in the shop really.
 Timmd 18 Apr 2015
In reply to Steve nevers:

Ditto!
 beardy mike 19 Apr 2015
In reply to Timmd and TobyA:
I'm not quite sure they are all the same company but czech brands certainly produce decent quality stuff and associate with one another quite strongly. As for most harnesses being made there... Theres this little place called china aswell. They do a few... Petzl, Wild Country amongst others....
 jimtitt 19 Apr 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

Singing Rock together with Raveltik are part of the Lanex group which includes Tendon Ropes. Rock Empire is part of Hudy Sport.
In reply to jimtitt:

Thanks again to you all... I've emailed a link to this thread to my friend.

Cheers lads and lasses x
 Timmd 20 Apr 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

> I'm not quite sure they are all the same company but czech brands certainly produce decent quality stuff and associate with one another quite strongly. As for most harnesses being made there... Theres this little place called china aswell. They do a few... Petzl, Wild Country amongst others....

Interesting. I'm sure I read of quite a few companies having their harnesses made in Eastern Europe, things can change I guess.
 beardy mike 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Timmd:

There's also Metolius and quite a number of more obscure american brands who manufacture in the US. I'm not sure if Arcteryx still does as well?
i have a SR walking axe and its first rate, would happily buy there gear again. they have there own youtube channel with some great videos of them manufacturing and field testing there gear. check them out
 Mark Collins 20 Apr 2015

Just wondering what they call their hexes, "Singing Rocks" perhaps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...