UKC

Nine Edges walk - accommodation suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 16 Apr 2015
I have just registered for this event in September. Could anyone recommend accommodation (B&B, camp site etc - nearest YHA is Edale I think), within short walking distance of the start (Fairholmes)?
 matt_chan 16 Apr 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

It depends what you call "a short walking distance" but there is not much accommodation anywhere near Fairholmes. The nearest is probably the Ladybower Inn but I guess that's about 5 miles away. You could most likely hitch from the bottom of the Fairholmes access road as there will be lots of other folk heading up there for the Nine Edges too.

I would offer you a lift from Sheffield myself but am expecting a full car already.

The 273 bus goes from Sheffield Interchange to Fairholmes so you could maybe stay in town and get the bus.
OP BusyLizzie 17 Apr 2015
In reply to matt_chan:

Thanks max, that's very kind.
 deepsoup 17 Apr 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Unfortunately, I don't think the buses are much help to you. The first 273 of the day doesn't get there until about 10.20am, and the 222 (which comes from Bamford first thing, then just goes up and down the Upper Derwent Valley all day) runs on Sundays only most of the year.

There is a slightly closer B&B than Ladybower - Crookhill Farm do B&B. (I've never stayed there, just noticed their B&B sign while passing.)
http://www.peakdistrict-bedandbreakfast.co.uk/crookhill-farm-bamford-i8.htm...
Don't be fooled by the postcode btw, it's actually here:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=419355&Y=386620&A=Y&Z=120&...

As with the Ladybower Inn chances are you would just need to stick your thumb out to get a lift the two miles odd to Fairholmes, and it's on the way back to Fairholmes from the finish so you wouldn't need a lift if you were staying there after the race.

I bet max wouldn't be the only one willing to offer you a lift to the start though, if you were to book accommodation somewhere else I'd be pretty optimistic you could hook up with someone through the 'lifts & partners' forum on here.
OP BusyLizzie 17 Apr 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Thank you deepsoup, and I will follow up that B&B.

I realise my post isn't very clear - I am driving up there, just don't want to be faffing with driving to Fairholmes and parking on the Saturday morning. But looks like that is the thing to do, or hitch, or walk. No worries, those are all good options.

L
 winhill 17 Apr 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Is it going to finish at the Robin Hood again?

I wonder if there's a possibility of doing it the other way around, stay at Eric Byne campsite or a B+B nearby and then get a lift to the start?

I don't know what time they start setting up at the finish but there must be people going that way, if you had a partner, both with cars, you could leave one car at the finish then drive the second to the start and get a lift back to pick up your car, thumb a lift with them maybe? I've got a lift back to Fairholmes without waiting for the MRT bus before.

Or suggest to Edale MRT that they think about doing this as well as taking people back to the start, in theory it could save them some time and money at the finish by not taking lots of people back to Fairholmes. (Course some poor volunteer has to be up early to start the driving).
OP BusyLizzie 19 Apr 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Fixed: Hathersage Youth Hostel. Will drive over in the morning. There will be room for two, or three if slender, in the car, if anyone happens to be doing the same

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...