UKC

Sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scott Anderson 16 Apr 2015
I'm after a couple of recommendations for sunglasses, I do a lot of climbing and walking and ideally would be after sunglasses to do both in!

I really like the Julbo range and the camel and zebra lens seem to do everything, but having just been messed about by urban Rock for a week trying to order the bivouacs I'm finding it hard to get a hold of these!

What does everyone else use??
 Sir Chasm 16 Apr 2015
In reply to fifth:

Very cheap ones from Aldi/Lidl/Screwfix.
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Yeah I'm wearing some £5 specials from aldi at the moment, had them a year. The nose has melted off them, full of scratches and I'm pretty sure the lens are giving me a headache some days.

Thought about an upgrade rather than more of the same
 WildCamper 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Sir Chasm:

+1 for cheap SGs
After loosing a rather expensive set of Oakleys on Dollywagon Pike a few years ago and breaking numerous others by sitting on them/crushing them in my bag/etc I just stick to cheap polarized sets now.
currently wearing a pair purchased from The Range for less than a tenner which work a treat and look ok
 rallymania 16 Apr 2015
In reply to fifth:

with regard the cheaper stuff i've been using Bloc sunglasses from TK Maxx for the last few years.
normally pay about £15 for them (without case or bag)
and a cheap and cheerful set of "swopable lens" glasses from argos for mtbing

used to wear oakleys, can't afford to replace the lost ones anymore. oddly i've been less clumsy / forgetfull since using cheaper ones

m0unt41n 16 Apr 2015
In reply to fifth:

I found the Julbo Zebra to be the only ones which I can wear for long time without eye strain.
Cheap sunglasses maybe OK for a very short period, but on the basis I don't have a spare pair of eyes then I don't need a spare pair of sun glasses so I have just one good pair (eyes and sunglasses).
In reply to fifth:

My Julbo sunglasses have the Zebra lenses and they're nothing short of superb. They're excellent for things like mountain biking when you're zipping in and out of shade. Definitely preservere and get yourself a pair.
In reply to rallymania:

Yup, Blocs from TKM for me, too. Decent glasses at a fair price, usually £13 or so. All Cat 3 , CE marked. As are the Lidl 3 lens 'gloggles' that are handy for skiing, and only £8 or £9...
 Pbob 16 Apr 2015
In reply to fifth:

I used to run a shop selling Oakley's. Never could understand why anyone would pay so much for a pair of shades. Didn't like all the over the top advertising or posey image. Then I won a pair for selling the most in a month (17 pairs). Thought about flogging them but decided to keep them. Best shades I've ever used. On my third pair. Still think they are overpriced but don't get on with anything else.
In reply to Pbob:

A convert! I used to wear Oakleys also, back when they were £70-90 not £130 upwards. Last few years I've stuck with the cheap ones but no more.

Just reordered the Bivouacs, was tempted to get the stunt or trek with the zebra lens at the same time but felt that was overkill!
 damowilk 18 Apr 2015
In reply to fifth:

Another vote for Julbo Chameleon (the UK name for camels) and Zebra lenses: great, one glass does it all for dark and light conditions, great for biking, mountaineering, skiing. I had one pair that just got replaced after 6years as they're pretty srctched now, and liked them so much I got the ski goggles also.
 sean1 18 Apr 2015
In reply to fifth:

I have had two pairs of Julbo Run sunglasses with the Zebra lens in the past 5 years. They are great for climbing. Good coverage around the eyes and adjust to the light conditions. Optically they are good but not as good as a Maui Jim.
 Siward 18 Apr 2015
In reply to Pbob:

After many years I took the plunge and bought a pair of trendy wraparound PRESCRIPTION bolle shades from eyekit.co.uk.

I won't tell you how much they cost but you folk with good eyesight don't know you're born...

However, so long as I don't sit on them I'm happy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...