UKC

Fell race waterproof recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom the tall 16 Apr 2015
Just started fell racing in the lakes. FRA minimum requirements are taped-seams waterproof top and bottom. What is the standard kit, cheap or Gucci, or in between, that folks are carrying. All my waterproof stuff is heavy hard shell, so looking to reduce weight. Cheers! Tom
Clauso 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Tom the tall:

Montane Minimus kit passes muster with FRA rules. Lightweight and works well...

Was recently available at a substantial discount on SportsShoes.com.
 jockster 16 Apr 2015

Montane Spektr is lightweight and bombproof. You can get for the under £100.
 ablackett 16 Apr 2015

Most people just carry the lightest thing they have which has taped seams. This £45 jacket from the new british company Hangar18 does the job well.

http://www.h18orr.com/collections/waterproof-clothing/products/minimalist-w...

I have one, had it out for 3 hours in apocalyptic conditions on Yorkshire 3 peaks route a couple of weeks ago and was dry under it.
 The New NickB 16 Apr 2015

I've got an Innov8 race shell 150 (I think), about £120 full price, you can probably get it cheaper, they do some pants as well. Does the job.

My girlfriend uses an £8 decathlon pack-a-mac, taped seams, also does the job.

Both are waterproof, neither is particularly breathable if if is raining and you are running, but that doesn't matter, wet and warm is fine and a £500 jacket won't keep you dry either.
 ianstevens 16 Apr 2015

A plastic bivi bag is fine for the Welsh FRA, which requires "full body cover". Not familar with the non-welsh rules though.
OP Tom the tall 17 Apr 2015
In reply to ianstevens: The FRA website rules state:
Best Practice Kit’ is the mandatory minimum for AL, AM and BL races, and Race
Organisers may require it to be carried at other categories of event.
‘Best Practice Kit’ comprises:-
 Waterproof whole body cover, hat, gloves, map of the route, compass, whistle, emergency food.
Your waterproof whole body cover must have taped seams and an attached hood.

I guess that precludes a bivvy bag.
 Michael Ryan 17 Apr 2015

Don't go too lightweight, especially if running high and during autumn, winter, early spring.....

Wrap up well.....too many cases of hypothermia recently.
 ianstevens 17 Apr 2015

BUT it covers the whole body, and arguably would keep you far more comfortable if you actually needed to stop than a 15 gram waterproof.
 simon kimber 17 Apr 2015

Berghaus VapourLight Hyper Smock - waterproof, taped seams and only 75g
http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/VapourLight+Hyper+Smock+2.0
 thedatastream 17 Apr 2015
In reply to ablackett:

"Buy both jacket and trousers to save 20% at only £64 for the set..."

That's a pretty good deal. If I didn't already have a full set of Montane Minimus stuff (which is great BTW) I'd probably plump for a set of these.
 shantaram 17 Apr 2015

I've got an OMM Kamleika jacket which is fantastic. Well fitted, made of a nice stretchy non rustly fabric and really lightweight. It's not the cheapest, but if you're a keen fell runner you're going to be out in all conditions throughout the year. So rather than just get something super lightweight just for races, why not have something that will be useful all year round. I absolutely hate waterproof overtrousers especially for running, so I've just got a super cheap pair of taped overtrousers which are surprisingly lightweight from a Millets / Mountain Warehouse type shop. I'd only ever use them in an emergency situation though, whereas the jacket I use regularly for running.
 tony 17 Apr 2015
In reply to shantaram:

I second the OMM Kamleika recommendation, but watch out for sizing - my Medium is distinctly large on me, whereas Medium jackets from other manufacturers seem fine. The arms in particular are very long.
 steveriley 17 Apr 2015

I'm tight and grabbed a Minimus at a really good price but it is a very good jacket and can actually be worn in rotten weather without turning you into one of those boil in the bag cod portions. Overtrouser I'm cheap and cheerful (Running Bear) and can't remember the last time I used them.
 Ridge 17 Apr 2015
In reply to ablackett:

> Most people just carry the lightest thing they have which has taped seams. This £45 jacket from the new british company Hangar18 does the job well.

> I have one, had it out for 3 hours in apocalyptic conditions on Yorkshire 3 peaks route a couple of weeks ago and was dry under it.

What's the sizing like on those?
 Tim Sparrow 19 Apr 2015
If only they still made the Hagloffs Oz Pullover. Best kit I've ever bought by many many miles.
 ablackett 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Ridge:

I am 5'11 and a fell runner build, the medium is a slightly loose fit, which means I can use it on the bike without the arms sliding up too much and without leaving a gap at the bottom of my back. I mostly use it for fell running though, and it's fine, but I could get away with a small.

Hope that helps.

Ridge 20 Apr 2015
In reply to ablackett:

It does, thanks.
 hokkyokusei 21 Apr 2015
In reply to ablackett:

Another data point - i spoke to them yesterday and they reckon that for my 5'11" height, 40" chest & 34" waist I should go for large. But I'm emphatically NOT fell runner build

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...