UKC

Broccoli Dying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello all, anyone here green fingered?

Im attemtping to grown broccoli for the first time this year. They germinated really well and grew to about 3-5cm but have started to wilt and die, having turned pale. They are in a greenhouse in a shallow tray sown with plenty of room. Ive followed the instructions on the packet too.

Any thoughts?
R
 jasonC abroad 17 Apr 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Similar thing happened to my brassica's this year, they were all doing well and I transplanted them to small pots and then most of them died. I had them in a small greenhouse and I think the sudden heat killed them off. Strangely my broccoli survived, just my cabbages, sprouts and cauliflowers died.

I've just planted some more, if I get desperate I'll buy some from the gardening center.

Good luck.

Damping off is usually what gets them at this point, but it sounds like they just got shocked the other way. I'd grow them indoors, in a reasonably bright spot, but not in direct sunlight. You might find using a clear plastic lid or - if you grow them in pots - a clear bag to be useful. Obviously, using a slightly deeper pot would help to combat sudden changes in environment.

We've had some good weather lately, so have removed part of the greenhouse door and opened the vents - it was just getting too much in there.
 ByEek 17 Apr 2015
You need to prick them out and pot on in a new pot and also perhaps take them out of the greenhouse as it is probably a bit too hot. If you do take new seedings outside, make sure you bring them in again if it starts raining or the rain will break the stems before they have chance to thicken up.

Another thing worth pointing out is that brassicas like very firm soil so it is worth stamping down the ground where you intend to finally plant them. They also like a slightly alkaline soil so liming is often done but this is not totally necessary unless you have acidic soil. Finally make sure there is plenty of space between plants (about 18" I would have said) and in my experience the worse enemy of brassicas is pigeons but they can also come under attack from caterpillars and various flys so keep a look out!
Post edited at 08:20

Ah, right, they may have been given too much sun/heat. Ill try a few suggestion and see how I get on. I dont think we will get any more frost here now so i could stick them outside and see how that works.
 Skip 17 Apr 2015

I'd put them outside, they're hardy plants.

Advice on planting. Once you're ready to put them in the veg bed make sure the soil is as compact as possible, roll it until it is rock hard, then plant the broccoli, then "heel them in", i.e. compact the soil again around the stem. This sounds like madness, but applies to all brassicas (cabbage/cauli/broccoli etc). How compact the head is mirrors how compact the roots are.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...