UKC

Climbing research for college unit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SirCallum 17 Apr 2015
Hi there fellow climbers!

My name is Callum Shankland, I am a student at Perth College of the university of the highlands and islands studying sport coaching and development of sport at diploma level. For my research project i am investigating the psychological effects of climbing. This survey takes only a minute or two to complete and your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KH66W9V (Link to the survey)

Danm79 17 Apr 2015
In reply to SirCallum:

Done buddy.
needvert 17 Apr 2015
In reply to SirCallum:

So...I find this sort of thread to be surprisingly frequent. (Getting UKC to fill out surveys).

I presume each data collection request is separate to the last, and that the previous survey raw results may not always be made public?

It seems to me if UKC had a spot where raw survey data was dumped, it would give people doing survey's a much bigger information set to work with, and over a long time scale the ability to observe historical trends.

It wouldn't be all that hard to pull off, merely the agreement that each new survey request posts its raw data to some designated spot on UKC.

It could even evolve one step further, that we have a once a year the official grand UKC survey. Shortly after would be a state of the UKC community article, which be a simplish analysis of the survey results.
(Many other communities have similar things, so everyone gets an idea of trends and what everyone else is up to).

Just throwing out an idea.
 Rampikino 17 Apr 2015
In reply to SirCallum:

This survey does not investigate teh psychological effects of climbing.

It appears to skim over the NEGATIVE effects of some climbing experiences.

Have you considered at all the POSITIVE psychological effects of climbing?

Also, pet hate of mine though it's your choice - brand new profile, with no details. No previous posts, registered just today. No explanation as to what you are trying to achieve or how this data will be used.
abseil 17 Apr 2015
In reply to SirCallum:

Done, good luck.
 Rob 17 Apr 2015
In reply to SirCallum:

Done. Good luck.
 toad 17 Apr 2015
In reply to needvert:

Unfortunately the results are effectively irrelevant. The process of designing and presenting such a study are what's important to these students, so unfortunately you'll always get dozens of dissertation type clone posts. I'm not unsympathetic, and will do them if it's convenient, but with the exception of a few really interesting post grad studies, I'm afraid they're all much of a muchness.

sorry, I know that's a bit negative, but the point stands
 Marek 17 Apr 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

Oh, and you ask about vertigo - why? It's not a psychological issue any more than climber's elbow or shoes that are too tight.
 Rampikino 17 Apr 2015
In reply to toad:

I agree.

I have occasionally completed some of these surveys - particularly those where it's a UKC person who has engaged with the audience and generated a well constructed survey with a clear purpose. I find it a touch off-putting when someone comes on with no prior posting history and their first post is a request for us to help them get a degree.

Then more often than not the surveys are distinctly lacking.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...