UKC

Cairngorms expedition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mason_7 17 Apr 2015
I am thinking of planning a expedition for 8 days in Scotland. The plan is im getting a lift to Aviemore on the Wednesday and i am being picked up at Fort william the following Thursday. I am going to be exploring the cairngorms wildcamping, trekking and climbing. I am going to be slowly making my way to fortwilliam with in the 8 days. Stopping at the Ben on the last day to do Tower ridge.

Does anybody recommend any summits to bag or any multipitch mountain routes graded between vidiff and VS?
 CurlyStevo 17 Apr 2015
In reply to mason_7:
What time of year are you thinking ?

Graeme G 17 Apr 2015
In reply to mason_7:

Think you need to do some personal research first. You're basically asking "where to go" in about half of Scotland......the list is enormous.....

CurlyStevo 17 Apr 2015
In reply to mason_7:

If you mean next Wednesday then your options will be quite different to what they would be in a couple of months time!
 Mark Bull 17 Apr 2015
In reply to mason_7:

Even a fairly direct route from Aviemore to FW (e.g. East Highland Way) is about 80 miles.
If you go into the Cairngorms for a couple of days, that's not going to leave much time for summits and climbs, unless you are pretty fit!
 Steve Perry 17 Apr 2015
In reply to mason_7:
Hike through Lairig Ghru to Corrour bothy then over which ever tops take your fancy to Glen Feshie. Climb out of Glen Feshie towards Dalwhinnie and then up Loch Ericht into Ben Alder area and through to Loch Ossian. Loch Ossian to Glen Nevis. Generalised route you can add peaks and variations too.
Post edited at 14:54
mason_7 17 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

End of may, early june....
mason_7 17 Apr 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:

Sounds like a brilliant plan Steve. Do you know if theres any decent climbs on the way?
 Only a hill 17 Apr 2015
In reply to mason_7:

Be ready for snow in the high mountains at that time of year. I've climbed Ben Nevis in full winter conditions, requiring axe and crampons, in late May before.
 CurlyStevo 17 Apr 2015
In reply to mason_7:
IMO if you are near the cairngorm plateau the Loch Avon Basin is a must, for me it's the most stunning area in the cairngorms.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcs-album/4014189937/
http://www.thedulaig.com/userfiles/image/initial/_large/Loch_Avon_and_The_S...
Post edited at 18:07
 sheelba 17 Apr 2015
In reply to mason_7:

As the previous posts imply this is a very ambitious idea. Unless you intend to solo all the climbing or have a very lightweight setup you're going to have a seriously heavy pack to lug an impressive distance with climbing along the way. Why not spend 8 days in the Cairngorms or around Ben Nevis if you want to go climbing or go just walking otherwise.
mason_7 19 Apr 2015
In reply to sheelba:

This was my concern! I could do some climbing around the ben and if |i want to go wildcamping for a couple of days. I suppose I could to see if a local hostel I will be staying at will be cool with leaving my stuff there...
 sheelba 19 Apr 2015
In reply to mason_7:

Are you limited to only Fort William or Aviemore? The Glen Brittle campsite on skye is a great place to stay if you haven't got a car and want to do climbing and walking straight out of the campsite. Othewise I guess some climbing on the Ben and a backpack around the mamores/Grey corries or walk into Loch Avon in the Caingorms and do some climbing from there.

There's not a lot of climbing this way but the best thing I did in Scotland without a car was getting the train to mallaig, boat to Inverie on knoydart and then walking out to Glennfinnan. Gorgeous remote walk (from 3 to 5 days depending on what you do) and then you could do some climbing afterwards. I'm sure a bunkhouse/hostel would be more than happy to let you store stuff.
 Flinticus 20 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yeah, I'd agree: you could camp above it too. I walked over Feith Buidh after camping on Beinn a Chaorainn. Would have been a better spot, with stunning views of the crags. You could also spend a night or two based at the Hutchison Memorial hut or the Fords of Avon shelter, both recently done up by the MBA: watertight, clean and cosy. The hut is real homely with curtains and a stove! (though there's no fuel anywhere nearby. You could roam down to Corrour bothy too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...