UKC

Easy gullies on the Ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 17 Apr 2015
Hi,
Wondering if any of the grade II gullies on the Ben would go roughly at the grade this weekend? Thinking maybe number 2 gully or Gardyloo gully? Don't want to expose myself to too many cornice risks given the difference between met office and met mountain forecasts right now.

Open to other suggestions but it has to be grades I and II as my friend has an elbow injury that is healing up.

Cheers,
Stevo
 Webster 17 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

if anything they will be easy for the grade, ie banked out. snow may be soft though
OP CurlyStevo 17 Apr 2015
In reply to Webster:
Gardyloo varies massively and hasn't seen many ascents this season. Do you know what the conditions are for that route? or why it has seen so little ticks on UKC? Have all the cornices fallen down above the gullies?

Webster 17 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

i couldnt see up there in the cloud on sun. garagh (however its spelt) gully is a grade 1 plod right now.
 bms 17 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I had an early start and went up No2 Gully this morning. After a good overnight frost the snow was rock hard. The gully was banked out into a steepish slope. There was a cornice but I passed it to the left as you look up hill.

On the summit I met a climber who had just finished soloing Gardyloo. He had somehow flanked the cornice on one side. For obvious reasons I didn't peer over the edge to see how he did it.

Cheers,
Ben
In reply to bms:

cheers
In reply to bms:
I think I'm going to give it a miss tomorrow, if mwis are correct the risk of cornice collapse above an easy gully line is too high. Oddly on sais the Lochaber forecast is the only area not to mention this risk.....
Post edited at 17:08
OP CurlyStevo 18 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Yeah it was warmer than they predicted http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?WMO=03041&LAND=UK&...

Cracking day walking in the southern highlands today mind, amazing views

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...