UKC

Wintour’s Leap – possible peregrine nest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Sewards 17 Apr 2015
Hi all

It appears that the peregrines have chosen to nest on the far right-hand end (the Pedestal area) of GO Wall, though we haven’t managed to confirm the exact nest location yet. For the moment, could everyone please avoid routes on the Pedestal Area of GO Wall (i.e. the routes from Dinosaur Heaven to Kama Sutra, inclusive, including the traverses which start in this area), and also the routes Zebrazone and Surrealist which start from the bottom of GO Wall and finish in this area. I will put signs up on site tonight or early tomorrow morning

It is possible (and it’s happened before) that they may yet chose to move somewhere else on the cliff – it is not clear that eggs have been laid yet, though they are certainly spending a lot of time in this area. Therefore, could all climbers at Wintour’s Leap please keep eyes and ears open for peregrines, and be prepared to change to change plans and/or retreat (if safe to do so) if it appears that they are nesting in the vicinity of your chosen route. If this does happen, please let me know (or post on this thread) as soon as possible

Thanks very much

Rick Sewards
BMC Wye Valley Access Rep
OP Rick Sewards 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Rick Sewards:

An update to this - it appears (though it's not confirmed yet) that they (I assume it's the same pair) have moved on to the far left hand end of North Wall, either at the same level as, or above the Great Ledge, and to the left of the finish of Left Hand Route. For the moment the restriction on the far right hand end of GO Wall described above remains in place, but in addition please avoid Left-Hand Route and the other routes that finish or start on the left hand end of the Great Ledge - including Gryke, Punch and Judy, Suspect Device, Exodus, Tarnhelm and Bacchanalian. There are no signs in place yet (I only became aware of this today, when I saw them - and a freshly decapitated pigeon on the Great Ledge!) but will be soon, and I hope to resolve asap exactly where they are nesting. If they are no longer on GO Wall this restriction will be lifted, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Cheers

Rick
 whenry 18 May 2015

Hi Rick,

Any confirmation yet on the Peregrines?
OP Rick Sewards 23 May 2015
In reply to whenry:

Hi, apologies for the slow reply. They definitely haven't nested on North Wall, so no worries about climbing Left Hand Route et al. For the moment the restriction on the Pedestal area of GO Wall remains.

Thanks very much

Rick
OP Rick Sewards 23 May 2015

Hi all, have confirmed today that they're nesting on the Pedestal area (i.e. the far right-hand end) of GO Wall, so this restriction remains in place. Also saw one of them fly past with a pigeon in its claws! The rest of the crag is fine.

Cheers, Rick
 whenry 23 May 2015

Hi Rick,

Thanks for confirming.

Henry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...