UKC

Advanced search in the logbooks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hello All,
Is it possible on the UKC databases to compile a list of climbs by first ascentionist?
I would like to put together a ticklist of John Allen grit routes, but I have the sinking feeling that I'll just have to get the guidebooks out and go through crag by crag.
Can anyone enlighten me if its possible?
Thanks, Paul

PS if anyone has the list just 'lying about' and wants to share I would be very grateful.
Post edited at 10:24
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Bump anyone?
 Offwidth 21 Apr 2015
Tom and Pete put a draft list together for their big adventure and stuck it up here for checking. I'd suggest you try to do similar and people might be more willing to help on the obscure detail.
Post edited at 08:08

You can get the list here - http://www.rockfax.com/databases/expert.html and even build a ticklish in PDF format (an old feature we added years ago which I had forgotten about).

Note - write 'John Allen' not name and initial as it says.

This sort of functionality will come to the Logbook database sooner or later although the data is likely to only ever come from the Rockfax database for detail such as first ascensionist.

Alan
 Simon Caldwell 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> the data is likely to only ever come from the Rockfax database for detail such as first ascensionist.

Why's that? It's on the UKC database, and I go to some effort to populate it when adding routes.
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Why's that? It's on the UKC database, and I go to some effort to populate it when adding routes.

Because very few people do go to that effort when adding routes, but it is great that some people do. However it automatically gets added to the Rockfax database hence there is bound to be much more of it on these routes.

Another problem may well be inconsistencies in naming convention (already demonstrated by our own system). J. Allen, J Allen, John Allen, Jon Allen, Allen, Alan, etc. Intelligent searches can find some of these but it is pretty tricky to do it for everyone, especially when the data is being added by many different people. The RF data tends to be consistent to a large extent, although we have switched between first names and initials.

Alan
 cha1n 21 Apr 2015

Whilst people are asking database related questions...

Is there a way of seeing *all* the route logged on ukc (by all users) on a particular day as I only get a small summary. I found that this would have been really useful back when the weather was on and off because it means you can tell if a particular route/problem is dry if it's been logged.

Thanks.
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
Alan, thank you got my pdf ticklist.
He was certainly a busy little bee. I've done about a quarter of them so far. Some I'll never do.
I'll be impressed if the boys manage to do John Allen Peak in a day......199 climbs. Some quite hard. Actually, all quite hard.
Post edited at 15:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...