UKC

Meths fuel availability — Cape Wrath Trail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 20 Apr 2015
Hi folks, I'm after up-to-date information on the availability of meths fuel (for stoves) on various locations along the Cape Wrath Trail, specifically:

The garage at Shiel Bridge (they had it there in 2013, but haven't been since)
Kinlochewe (have heard this shop isn't as good as it used to be? Any recent info?)
Ullapool (pretty sure fuel won't be a problem here)
Kinlochbervie (no info)

I plan to carry fuel for at least seven days at once, so it isn't a big deal if I can't resupply at Kinlochewe.

Any info gratefully received. Cheers!
 Cuthbert 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Phone Kinlochewe and London Stores in KLB.
Gilad N 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

when are you planning on walking the trail? I'll be there in month....
Maybe plan on sending a re-supply package to any of those locations, some of the accommodation along the way will be happy to hold on a box for you until passing through.
OP Only a hill 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Gilad N:

I'm departing on the 3rd of June. Can't wait! How are your preparations going? At the moment I'm in the process of cutting down my pack weight.

I've considered re-supply packages, but it sounds like a lot of faff considering the presence of shops along the way. I may well change my mind, though!
 obi-wan nick b 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Gilad N: if planning on sending flammable liquids they you may want to check this out
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/prohibited-goods-uk#Prohibited

BoulderBus 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I have used the post office 'Post Restante' service for resupply before. I think all of those locations have post offices so you could set that up and send resupply boxes ahead - I have done this before on long uk walks to allow for resupply with lightweight food supplies, fuel and maps (I then rebox used maps and surplus items and send them home)

You could order meths from amazon and have it sent to the same post restante address - and the supplier would presumably get that delivered by courier.

snoopdawg 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I'm starting it from next Saturday.

Gave up using meth's burners a few years back and switched to gas and small stove a few years back because of the scarcity of the meth's in shops in the highlands.

I haven't used the postal service before, my plan is to carry 6 days of supplies and restock at kinlochewe and kinlochbervie
Gilad N 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

How does the cut down goes? What else do you have to sort/source? I've been going over all my planning/preparation on my site (outdoorsfather.com), including my lists if you want to grab any of them

I'm pretty much ready, just need the last few bits of food to come in and pack a supply box. It will probably end up being cheaper to just send the food rather than buy on the way.
As obi-wan nick b mentioned, gas can't be sent, so will just pick gas canister on the go if I need any.
OP Only a hill 23 Apr 2015
In reply to snoopdawg:

Cheers for the info. I wasn't aware that meths is less common in the Highlands these days ... I've mainly been using gas for the last few years, but am in the process of switching back to an alcohol burner for various reasons. Anyway, my stove setup is reasonably efficient so I'll easily be able to carry ten days' worth of meths with me.

I suppose it wouldn't kill me to carry the Pocket Rocket along as well, just in case I find myself unable to source meths!
In reply to Gilad N:

> How does the cut down goes? What else do you have to sort/source? I've been going over all my planning/preparation on my site (outdoorsfather.com), including my lists if you want to grab any of them

Your gear list isn't dissimilar to mine, although I'm taking fewer items of clothing and no down jacket (I run warm). I've just upgraded my pack (ULA Circuit, much lighter than my old one) and my tent (now Tarptent Notch, 780g!) In total I've managed to get my base pack weight to around 9kg, which I'm reasonably happy with. I'd be able to get it lighter if I left the DSLR at home, but I need to be able to take decent photos.

This will be my first big route done entirely in trail shoes (Inov-8 Roclite 295). Exciting!

Gilad N 23 Apr 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I had both the Tarptent Notch and the the Nordisk Telemark 1 as options for a tent upgrade and ended up taking the Telemark (got a better deal).

This will be my first long (more that 100 miles) trip with trail shoes too. I've been using the Inov-8 Roclite 235 for a year now so I hope I'm fully adjusted.

By the way, do you know much about the cell phone reception along the route? i couldn't find much information about it.
In reply to Gilad N:

Depends on the network, but it's going to be pretty patchy. I've visited some of the areas along the way already and there are big areas without much. Going to be better higher up, though.
OP Only a hill 06 May 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I thought I would add to this thread for posterity, as I've now phoned the stores in question and obtained some hard facts!

Shiel Bridge: the chap said that they usually stock meths, but if critical for success it's advisable to ring up two weeks in advance. He was very obliging and said he would be happy to keep a bottle aside for me.

Kinlochewe: same situation as Shiel Bridge. Shop usually stocks it but owner happy to set a bottle aside if asked in advance.

Ullapool: didn't bother phoning anywhere, as I'm 100% sure of finding it somewhere in town.

Kinlochbervie: I phoned the Spar shop, but they don't stock meths. Apparently the nearby garage has it in stock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...