UKC

Lightweight crampons for alpine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kai Autio 20 Apr 2015
I am looking for lightweight crampons for alpine climbs. I do have crampons for ice climbing (BD Bionic with Scarpa Freney boots, total 3000 grams for pair!!!), but would like to get weight down for summer climbs in the Alps. Climbing will be mainly classic routes (PD-TD) and crampons needed for claciers and snow sections, some mixed can't be avoided.

My plan is to buy La Sportiva Trango Cube Gtx boots and lightest possible crampons.
How light I can go?
Is Grivel Air Tech Light too light (not durable enough/will these bite icy sections)
Is aluminium out of the question?
It will be a compromise and I am ready to accept shorter lifespan.
All recommedation and advices are more than wellcome.
 Ron Walker 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Kai Autio:

Aluminium crampons aren't really suitable for hard ice and rock. You might get away early season, if on hard snow only but if you encounter hard grey ice you'll totally regret it!
The steel Airtechs or better G12's or similar will cope with most things. ALU crampons are designed for ski mountaineering on snow and for early season snowy approaches to rock climbs when you need to carry the crampons on the route, as long as it's not mixed!
Camp do a light steel Nanotech crampon but not heard any proper reviews on how they fair for general Alpine mountaineering.
OP Kai Autio 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Ron Walker:
Thanks.
I was a bit afraid of ALU being too soft, but have never used myself.
CAMP steel Nanotech is a bit lighter than Airtech (684 vs. 790)...
 HeMa 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Kai Autio:

Aluminiun can work, but the more rock/mixed is involved, then them breakin' is not out of the question.

Too bad the Cube GTX doesn't have front welts, as something like Grivel Haute Route might be nice...

My pick would be prolly Grivel Air Tech (actually, it is). Or perhaps Camp Tour Nanotech.
In reply to HeMa:

Steel Airtechs and Cubes are a good combo ive used them
Winter walking end of last winter and this one I don't consider the
Steel Airtechs Heavy fit,fit the boots nicely and feels lightweight and
Nimble works for me
 jw 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Kai Autio:

I use steel Airtech with La Sportiva boots for Alpine routes too. Bear in mind you will probably need to replace the toe bale with the narrow version if you go for full step in. The narrow toe bale is a good fit on my boots.

JW
Removed User 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Kai Autio:

Have you looked at the Grivel G1? If you really want to save weight and don't plan to do lots of mixed, this could be an option. I have the Haute Route crampons (ski touring option - not full carbon steel) and they are looking fine after several seasons, with a fair bit of scrapping about on rock near summits.

http://www.grivel.com/products/ice/crampons/synoptic
OP Kai Autio 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Removed Userchamdog:
G1 or Air Tech? Big question as there is not much weight difference. Wonder if the heel part (ALU) is available as a spare part?
 HeMa 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Kai Autio:

I'm sure it is, but most likely spendy enough to actually warrant buying new crampons.

For more versatility, get the Air Tech. Light enough for slogs, and has a good antiballin' plate. Yet can get you up AI3+/4. I know, as I've climbed quite a few Southern Finland icefalls with mine.
 Aigen 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Kai Autio:

My mate used a pair of aluminum Grivel pons on the midi plan traverse. They where put in the bin afterwards because they wore out so much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...