UKC

T rated axe for technical alpinism?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 20 Apr 2015
Looking to purchase a semi-technical axe for alpinism (e.g. Grivel Air Tech Evo, BD Venom, Petzl Summit Evo).

How important is a T rated axe? I understand that a T rated shaft is strong enough to belay from (400N force?).

Looking to do routes from PD-D+. I will pair the axe with a technical hammer (Grivel Matrix) when I'm on steeper ground.

Cheers.
 HeMa 20 Apr 2015
In reply to blue_sundown:

To me, it ain't... if you belay solely from an axe, the snow will most likely fail before the axe bends.

For walkin' you'll prolly have poles. For easier snow ascents, I have two BD Whippets (ie. self arrest skipole, but then again I use it also when skiing). But a lightweight axe might also do.

Then proper tools for when ya need them.
 Mountain Llama 20 Apr 2015

Having tried to pull out a basic ice axe from a snow belay and failed with 3 of us hanging on the rope, I would be more concerned about the snow quality.

Due to weight limits etc I just take 2 technical axes to the alps, vipers. Depending on the route I would carry 1 or 2.

HTH Davey
 planetmarshall 21 Apr 2015
In reply to HeMa:

> To me, it ain't... if you belay solely from an axe, the snow will most likely fail before the axe bends.

A T-rated axe is useful in crevasse rescue to place on the lip of the crevasse to reduce rope drag - a B rated axe would be more likely to buckle when used this way. Of course it's debatable whether you think this is a good reason to have a T-rated axe.
 HeMa 21 Apr 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> A T-rated axe is useful in crevasse rescue to place on the lip of the crevasse to reduce rope drag - a B rated axe would be more likely to buckle when used this way.

I kind of doubt that...
needvert 21 Apr 2015

> How important is a T rated axe? I understand that a T rated shaft is strong enough to belay from (400N force?).

It's worth being clear on exactly what a T and B rated axe means:
http://www.needlesports.com/images/AttachedDocs/Ice-Tools%20EN%2013089.PDF
OP Alpenglow 21 Apr 2015

Is the Air Tech Evo the only similar type axe around?
I like the DMM Raptor, but it's too heavy.
 alan.rodger 21 Apr 2015

Can't see that you would regret a pair of air tech evos - they are so light and having the T rating is a bonus.
 CurlyStevo 22 Apr 2015

Depends on the snow, I've certainly made ice axe belays in neve that can withstand more than two climbers weight in my opinion. If your belay can't take 200 kg it's mostly psychological in my opinion!
 CurlyStevo 22 Apr 2015
In reply to alan.rodger:
The evos strike a good balance in my opinion.

CurlyStevo 22 Apr 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:
If you have to use an ice axe belay for crevasse rescue and intend to winch using a pulley system 250 N / kg is too low a breaking point. As you winch the force on the anchor will be much more than double the climbers weight!

The problem is we don't know which test the axe failed to make it b rated rather than t. I suspect most b rated axes in good neve are strong enough for crevasse rescue, in most circumstances. I. Generally if you intend to climb you should be aiming for a t rated axe shaft whilst walking b rated is fine. Obviously there is some middle ground / cross over.

More info here http://www.needlesports.com/images/AttachedDocs/Ice-Tools%20EN%2013089.PDF
Post edited at 07:18
 andrewmc 22 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> If you have to use an ice axe belay for crevasse rescue and intend to winch using a pulley system 250 N / kg is too low a breaking point. As you winch the force on the anchor will be much more than double the climbers weight!

If you ignore friction (which is of course a bit silly, but will probably not change the answer by more than a factor of 2 and probably less unless the rope gets stuck), then for slow hauling (no bouncing, again probably a factor of 2) the force on the anchor should still be around the climbers weight? Or when you say 'much more than double the climber's weight' do you just mean 'at most a few times the climber's weight', or are you (possibly quite validly) arguing that friction, bouncing etc are more significant than I am guessing?

If you are referring to the multiplication of forcing in a 3-1 or 6-1 haul system (for example) this is to multiply the small force you apply up to the hauling force on the order of the climber weight; it won't change the load on the anchor (unless you get the rope stuck and haul really hard).
 Sharp 23 Apr 2015
In reply to needvert:

> It's worth being clear on exactly what a T and B rated axe means:

Wow I've never seen that before. the test for torquing the tip of an axe is pretty low.
 SteveD 23 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> If you have to use an ice axe belay for crevasse rescue and intend to winch using a pulley system 250 N / kg is too low a breaking point. As you winch the force on the anchor will be much more than double the climbers weight!
>snip<

No it won't the load is the load. In a theoretical 3:1 frictionless setup, hauling against the load will reduce the load on the anchor by 30% hauling against the anchor will increase the load by 30%.

In practice friction at each re-direct and over the edge etc screws that up but the principle is the same.
l00pz 23 Apr 2015

I would recommend BD Venoms those beauties are just amazing. Have 57/64 pair love every second with them.
 CurlyStevo 24 Apr 2015
In reply to SteveD:
Yeah I realised my mistake too late. Using the typical crevasse rescue pulley systems (3:1 and 6:1) The greater the mechanical advantage of the pulley system the greater the force on the anchors however in stasis (without the use of an ascender / prussic or lets say before some rope runs back through the system and it engages) the force on the anchor should only approach the weight of the climber not exceed it. Of course in reality to actually move them up say on a 6:1 pulley system it's likely a force on the anchor will exceed that created by body weight, can't find any actual experiments being carried out in this area to see test results.
Post edited at 11:51
 SteveD 24 Apr 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

It is all pretty complex but with a 3:1 pulley, if you are pulling up (against the load) you are taking 1/3 of the weight, (not sure what happens at the pulley due to the 'pulley effect') also you are accelerating the load so the force on the anchor will increase but whether that increase cancels out the 1/3rd of the load that you have taken or not, I don't know.

I think that 'go gently' is the rule and watch your anchors carefully!
 stratandrew 24 Apr 2015
In reply to SteveD:

I own both e-climb Cryro and Petzl Sum'Tec.....i'd say the Petzl Sum'tec are brilliant for what you want and available in a few varieties at different lengths, depending on how tall you are and what you are most likely to use them for. They are a great Alpine axe and light enough for high altitude.
 CurlyStevo 27 Apr 2015
In reply to stratandrew:

I disagree the cyro is a jack of all trades and master of none. I'd get the grivel evo with its rubber handle and curved pick (better for ice axe breaking) over that for alpinism any day. For slightly more technical routes pair with a climbing axe and anything at all pushy I'd ditch the alpine axe and just take two tech axes (and suffer the reduced functionality on easy ground but make the hard ground easier). That's my 2 p worth anyways.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...