UKC

Family / Climbing holiday combo advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nick Harvey 21 Apr 2015
Hi All,

I am after a suggestion for a climbing / family holiday location.

The idea is that a mate and I drive to location X. The missus and 2 year old fly and we pick them up (so preferably the airport is nearby) the following day. They then fly home, and we drive back (with maybe a few extra days at the beginning or end for more climbing).

The criteria we need to tick are:
Near climbing – ie so we can ‘pop’ out for short sessions
Lots of day activities for the family (my mate included in that) – sightseeing etc
Based somewhere where there is stuff to do on the doorstep for mother-and-child while I climb with my pal
Near a beach (pref very near) if possible
Cheap but decent self catering accom
Suitable for climbing, yet also sunbathing, in September

Imagine – nip out for a climb, pop to local town for a walk round old stuff, next day, day on the beach, climb in evening, next day, visit a vineyard after a morning climb, next day a nice walk in the countryside, next day full day of climbing, the missus meets us for picnic… you get the idea.

Really not sure if it’s possible, or if we can afford it, but would like to start researching it (particularly costs).

Also, does anyone have a very loose guess at an all-in price (ferries, fuel, tolls) for driving there and back? Ie to the nearest £100.

We were thinking towards the south of France somewhere (obviously, I guess), but that is about as far as we have got. I’ve had a flick through a couple of the rockfax guides and no one venue struck me as the ideal place, but I am sure there must be somewhere.

Any help appreciated.

Nick
 GrahamD 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Nick Harvey:

If you are contemplating getting as far as the French SE coast, you could go a bit further to Finale in Italy which might fit your bill.
OP Nick Harvey 21 Apr 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Thanks Graham, this was all written on the assumption that wherever we ended up, we'd need a car to move around. Of course, if it was all in one place, flying and no car would become a possibility.
Gone for good 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Nick Harvey:

You could drive down to Avignon. Loads of great climbing around that area. The Dentelles De Montmirailes are just next to Gigondas and other famous Cotes De Rhone vineyards so you can get out climbing in the evening and visit the Vineyards during the day. If you had time you could nip over to the Gorges De Verdon for some even more spectacular climbing or walking. Your family could fly into Nime airport where you have the Roman amphitheatre and are close to the Pont De Gard. Avignon is a very interesting town and has the spectacular palace of the popes. I would hazard a guess at about £250 for petrol and toll roads. Plus ferry costs. It's not cheap but it's a fantastic part of the world and well worth a visit. It does get hot in the summer so maybe a better time of year to visit would be September or October.
 Ams1101 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Dead cheap flights with Ryanair into Reus. Family can spend time in Tarragona and along the coast, which is lovely. Buckets of climbing nearby.
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Fly to Mallorca; cheap car hire from Terry's; plenty of cheapish accommodation options; lots of beach; varied climbing never too far away; still quite hot in September.
I'm sure there's stuff for non-climbers to do (apparently loads of people go there for a 'holiday'?). Nik
 tjekel 21 Apr 2015
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Would also suggest - fly as family + cheap rental car. Options:

Sperlonga
Trieste & northern istria;
Sardinia (southwest)
La turbie backcountry accom

And the usual island in the eastern med.
 Padraig 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Nick Harvey:
Sigh! Been there and got a grubby T shirt to boot. My advice which you will most probs ignore.....I did. ;-(
Family holiday will get you WAYYY more brownie points! Trust me.....You are trying to tick toooo many boxes on this "family /climbing holiday". It never ends well ....again TRUST ME!!

Post edited at 21:52
 climber34neil 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Dorset!
 winhill 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Nick Harvey:

You can drive to Tarragona or non-coastal what about Lecco, shore of Lake Como instead?
OP Nick Harvey 22 Apr 2015
In the hope Padraig is wrong, thank you all - there is a lot to think about there. And it has crossed my mind, he is not wrong...

To the internet...!
 tjekel 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Nick Harvey:

He's completely right. Thats why its good to ignore his advice ... jokes aside, we've been doing this quite a few times with our little one. She did 'climbing'. We were busy putting up ropes for her to swing around and busy trying to keep her from falling down from exposed ledges.

If you can live with 3-5 pitches a day, give it a go. If you want a climbing holiday, split between family and climbing.
altirando 23 Apr 2015
In reply to tjekel:

Not entirely sure of the climbing grades there, but Lake Annecy has a lot to offer for non climbers, including lake trip and swimming. Good scrambling though. Flight to Geneva or TGV to Annecy. Chamonix nearby. Or lower level, Ceuse, flight to Grenoble.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...