UKC

Voting, do you vote locally or nationally?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 22 Apr 2015
Hi folks,
when it comes for you to vote, are you voting nationally or are you going to vote locally?

By this I mean you could support Labour but your local Labour candidate is useless and any ideas he or she may have may not be good enough for your local area eg, kids playgrounds, better local support for business's, road improvements etc etc the list is endless.

I am voting locally. It is a staunch conservative area but the local conservative MP hasn't convinced me that her policies and ideas are any good for our demographic which is young families (although I'm nearly 50.....) and retired folk. She has said nothing to convince me that anything she does will benefit the locals and local area. It is mostly government policies that she has been pushing for the greater good and all that which I strongly disagree with.

So, what are you doing? No point in trying to tell me that voting nationally is a good idea. I've done that since I could vote and now I have a family and a strong sense of community my views have changed.

Den
 The New NickB 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

Both, but mainly nationally.

Your MP will have limited abutting to sort out those local issues, but the flavour of national government may have an impact on the ability of local agencies to work on those issues.

If you have local elections on the same day, this vote will be as significant for local issues as the election of an MP.
 FactorXXX 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

Neither, I vote for what benefits me as an individual and sod everyone else!
 Brown 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

Vote early, vote often
In reply to Denni:

Voting local, nice guy who votes in parliament on issues that affect me in a way I want him to. Cant trust national in any form to stick to promises/bribes made.

Our MP is local, lives in his house, has not whored himself out to the lobby (as far as can be seen), not mired in expenses scandal, gives second incomes earnings from surveys to charity, as is not in cabinet so has a local focus. All positives for me.
In reply to Pepper:

This time voting locally - not convinced about party but have faith in the candidate

Last election - preferred party and candidate

Previous one - nationally, didn't like local candidate but preferred party to alternatives.
 Lord_ash2000 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:
For me I vote nationally, I don't even know who my local MP is and don't really care.

Mainly because at the stage in life I'm at right now local issues are not really important to me. I don't care if the bin's get taken once a week or fortnightly or if the park gets a new play area or if the library gets some new chairs. I use very few local services and so have little interest in who runs them.

What I am concerned about are the bigger national issues like national debt, pensions, tax, and the stay of the nation as a whole, so when I vote, I'm very much voting for the party I want to run the country rather than the local MP.
Post edited at 18:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...