UKC

Reslinging old cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 22 Apr 2015

I 've got a few 25 year old cams with the original nylon slings. I'm thinking that the cams themselves are OK but that the slings could benefit from replacing. Any reason why I shouldn't replace the slings with (say) 7mm cord tied with a double fishermans?
Post edited at 15:38
 Bob 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

None whatsoever. I've still some of the original models that came without any sling so you had to add your own.
 jkarran 22 Apr 2015

I just push a thin stitched sling through the hole and clip both loops, it's cheap, easy and extendable.
jk
 Wingnut 22 Apr 2015

No, it'll be deathly dangerous! Give them to me, I'll dispose of them safely for you.

:

(My hexes are still slung that way, and the number of times they have failed and killed me is so far relatively low.)
 Wingnut 22 Apr 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Chris "Death Products" Tan has something similar on his website, but with a chunk of tubular tape over the sling to keep things tidy. Does mean there's the possibility of inadvertently only clipping one loop though?
 cuppatea 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Wingnut:

Use a load of electrical tape to hold the seperate loops together; you could even colour code them
Andy Gamisou 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Wingnut:

> No, it'll be deathly dangerous! Give them to me, I'll dispose of them safely for you.

No!

> (My hexes are still slung that way, and the number of times they have failed and killed me is so far relatively low.)

Damn - just remembered so are mine. That long since I used them (they must weigh, ooh I don't know 20lbs each) that I'd forgot about them. Pretty sure they only killed me 2 or 3 times as well. Makes me feel a bit if a twit for asking the original question. Still, I'm used to it by now...
 odari 22 Apr 2015

A 30 cm sling costs 3£, you double it and clip at the ends; this solution makes it extendable with a girth hitch too (although this practice is not recommended, especially with dyneema).
 Gael Force 23 Apr 2015

Thats what I put on mine, some a similar age, I did notice play on the axles of one which is now retired.
 jkarran 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Wingnut:

> Chris "Death Products" Tan has something similar on his website, but with a chunk of tubular tape over the sling to keep things tidy. Does mean there's the possibility of inadvertently only clipping one loop though?

Not if you give the whole lot a quick tug to check it. Second nature to me as I've had a tangled mass of sling-draws on my rack for years.

Incidentally, the data sheet that came with my slings (rare Mammut 6mm jobs) showed 16kN for a larksfoot which is higher than what's stamped on the cams they're threaded through.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...