UKC

Topsoil and turfing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 22 Apr 2015
Hi guys.
I'm going to be laying a lawn soon. The area is now prepared and pretty flat , but is now bone dry due to the weather.
Do I need to put topsoil down prior to laying the turf, or could I soak the area with a hose then rake it up a bit. It's too hard to rake at present and I want the turf to bind to the base.
Thanks
 Sharp 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Hard to say without looking at the soil but a rotavator or a good turning with a fork (depending on the size and your tenacity) should be sufficient for grass to grow ok.

MaxWilliam 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Depends on soil (sand/clay), topsoil/turf on dry crusty surface is likely fail, I'd suggest

Dig/turn-over/rotivate to depth of spade (10"-12")
Add organic matter (well rotted manure) and ideally grit or coarse sand
Rake, level and only gently firm (allow for some settling in levels)
Water the turf but not too much, but also not 'too little, too often' as encourages shallow roots.
OP Dave the Rave 22 Apr 2015
In reply to MaxWilliam:
Thanks both.
It really is crusty. I'm currently soaking it with a hose, and plan to take it thoroughly to 4cm. It's quite clumpy when wet so I presume it's a clay soil?

OP Dave the Rave 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Sharp:

> Hard to say without looking at the soil but a rotavator or a good turning with a fork (depending on the size and your tenacity) should be sufficient for grass to grow ok.

Given it a good forking! And soaked it ! It's looking brown like soil now. Turf arrives on Friday. There's weeds a plenty growing through the ground so hopefully the turf will take?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...