UKC

R.I.P Tom Rigg (ex SYHA Loch Ossian Warden)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
llechwedd 24 Apr 2015
Sad News.

I read the following message on the ScottishHills website and feel that there may be some people on UKH who knew Tom who may be unaware so have copied and posted it here :

("This message is for anyone who knew my dad Tom Rigg .. He ran Loch Ossian youth hostel for so many years and think he made lots and lots of friends .. Sadly my dad passed away Sunday teatime and I am arranging with so much help from the funeral home his send off .. If people would like to meet up to say farewell then these are the details .. dads funeral service is Monday April 27th at the funeral home Dudley Rd , Fort William PH336JB at 2pm .. The cremation is Tuesday 28th at Inverness Crem. Kelvin Rd , Inverneshire . IV38JN at 11.30 .. if ANYONE KNOWS OF ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND PLEASE TELL THEM THEY ARE WELCOME .. Also in 5 weeks .. either Sat.June 6th or Sun. June 7th we will be scattering dads ashes at Loch Ossian Hostel .. All Welcome .. The date for that will be decided in this next week and I will post the date then for the ashes .. I am also looking for a gent called Lord Muir of Glencoe ( The kilted Highlander ) who used to sing at the hostel on some Burns nights and my dad loved to hear him sing .. If anyone has any photos or anything of interest regarding my dad and you would like to fetch them on the day that would be great .. Thanks Pat and Sue ..")

On that post, there was also a mention of a chap named ' Wee MacGregor' that the original poster ('Pat and Sue') was looking to contact in relation to this news.
patandsue 26 Apr 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

Thanks for posting the above message regarding our dad Tom Rigg .. The scattering of his ashes will be Saturday 6th June @ 1pm at Loch Ossian Hostel, if people would like to join us there that would be so good x Pat and Sue
In reply to llechwedd:
Sad news. I have very fond memories of visiting Loch Ossian youth hostel and Tom during the winter months. Really enjoyed and still remember Tom's stories. Just hearing his name and the reminder of Loch Ossian brings an avalanche of wonderful memories.

Jamie
Post edited at 00:44
 heavy 25 May 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

So sorry to hear this news your Dad was a great pal to me and the RAF Mountain Rescue teams and looked after us so well. He left me a key to use the Hostel in our winter Walk in December 1977 . I have just found this post and sad to say I have missed the funeral. He will be missed and helped me and many of us during our wild days a great man who loved the wild places and the people a special and legend of the hills.

Kind Regards

Heavy EX RAF MR - i WOULD APPRECIATE A PHOTO OF YOUR DAD PLEASE?
 Padraig 25 May 2015
In reply to patandsue:

Really sorry to hear about your dad. I first met Tom many years ago and met him on many occasions at Loch Ossian YH. Being an avid bird watcher and feeling I was someone he could trust he took me for a walk in the hills one day and took great pride in showing me a couple of peregrine nests he was keeping an eye on. We found a couple of pigeon rings in some pellets below one nest. I also recall a massive red deer used to call at the YH most evenings and Tom would feed it avocado stones which it would crack in it's huge jaws. Fond memories of a true gent. I think of him often & I will do my best to make 6 June.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...