UKC

New rear shock - coil shock?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Hughes 24 Apr 2015
Hi,

I have a 2010 Zesty with 140mm and am thinking of buying it some presents. I started thinking about a new shock and came across the x-fusion vector coil which comes in the right size (200/57).

Now I'd always assumed that coil shocks were only really for downhill bikes. So, would I see much benefit with a coil shock on a shorter travel bike and what would be the drawbacks. Weight I guess?

Cheers,

Dan
 ChrisJD 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Coils are back in for sure (there is a small weight penalty). I'm riding one and it is in a different league to the CCDB-Air I had on before.

Its the plushness on the small bumps and bottomless feelng. And much easier to set up.

Though the new range of Fox air shocks looks very nice (as does their coil):

http://singletrackworld.com/2015/04/2016-fox-goodbye-ctd-hello-omf/
Scroll down the article.
OP Bob Hughes 24 Apr 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

thanks Chris, out of interest what bike are you on and what kind of riding? (and which shock?)

ChrisJD 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Have a look here (or post) to see what other Zesty riders are doing on Coils:

http://forums.mtbr.com/custom-builders-other-manufacturers/
 Stone Muppet 24 Apr 2015
I'd have thought if you're hitting things hard enough that coil is really needed, you'd break the rest of the bike which isn't really designed for that sort of abuse? But what do I know - I've only ridden on a coil shock for 3 days (on a 200mm travel bike) and never tried one on anything less bouncy.
 ChrisJD 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Stone Muppet:

?????

It's just a different type of shock - coils typically perform better than air across the range of the off-road riding experience, so its not a case of hitting things hard! Air is just not that great as a spring (they are getting better and better - Aaron Gwin just won the Lourdes DH on one!).

Not for weight obsessed XC types though who run tyres at 40 psi, lol.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...