UKC

General snow cover in highlands for walking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 24 Apr 2015
Heading up to Islay tomorrow and wondering what the snow cover is like on the lower peaks on the mainland. Driving through Arrochar and thought we might head out for a walk, perhaps up Ben Vane. I know the weather is going to be grim but if anyone knows what the snow cover is like it would be appreciated.
In reply to Sharp:

Very patchy, mostly just in hollows and corrie edges now. It has been soft and mushy but it may firm up this weekend, and you can't 100% guarantee that you won't need to walk on it once in a while so crampons and axe might be worth having
OP Sharp 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan
 Dave Hewitt 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Sharp:

In terms of the old snow it's very much governed by aspect. I was on the Tarmachans on Thursday (23 April) - the last of the warm days - and we took axes in the car but left them there. We never felt need of them on the hill (we went east-west), as although there was a fair amount of snow on east-facing aspects it was all soft, easy-angled or - where steeper - avoidable. But anything much higher, or with a proper steepish exit slope, could have been problematic. There are also some awkward-looking corrie rims and cornices around.

West-facing slopes however were a different story, both where we were and on the higher things - it looked as though you could well have got up the western approaches to Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers without stepping in snow at all. For the Tarmachans the three of us were all in summer footwear - eg I was in Mudclaws and felt entirely happy.

Of course it also depends on what amount of snow gets put down this weekend - the forecasts seem to be saying smallish amounts rather than a major dump - and also how chilly it proves to be.
 John Burns 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Sharp:
All that may have just changed. I live in Inverness It snowed for several hours yesterday, never seen snow at this time of year in the town. There is snow on the ground just on the outskirts of the town and Ben Wyvis is very white. I suspect there will be lots of fresh, soft snow on the hills. Check avalanche risks.

https://johndburns.wordpress.com/
Post edited at 07:21
OP Sharp 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Thanks for everyone's comments. Went to arrochar in the end, very little snow cover on Ben vane and surrounding hills. Bright blue skies and low wind
 gilliesp 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Arrochar Alps plastered today.
donal 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Was up Doune hill ,glen Douglas yesterday snow was from about 300mtrs plastered from 500mtrs ,ben Lomond looked same ,it was a blizzard, whiteout ,we thought low walk would escape the worst no luck .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...