UKC

New Eastern Grit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Hy 24 Apr 2015
Its big and heavy but is clearer than the BMC ones covering same areas. Good topos showing more detail of the buttresses on each crag and some good ticklists to aim at. Nice one Rockfax. will be taking it to the eastern grit now instead of the three BMC books i used to take with me.
 the power 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Paul Hy:

Brown noser
 ianstevens 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Paul Hy:

> Its big and heavy but is clearer than the BMC ones covering same areas. Good topos showing more detail of the buttresses on each crag and some good ticklists

Had a flick through it in a shop during the week - most of the topo photos look very, very similar to the last Eastern Grit. Personally, I really don't see the need for this book, except to fill the coffers at rock fax towers. It doesn't add a huge amount unless you want to go to obscure places (in which case buy the definitive guide), climb E8 (in which case you probably don't need a guide) or want to justify saying you've climbed E1 when you've done Flying Buttress Direct (a HVS).
 Ciderslider 25 Apr 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

I fit into the last category, but that said FBD E1 every day of the week (although not mid table - totally bottom end) and it ids a very good guide.
But the bottom line is - you don't have to buy itFlying Buttress Direct (E1 5b)
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Apr 2015
In reply to ianstevens:
> Had a flick through it in a shop during the week - most of the topo photos look very, very similar to the last Eastern Grit. Personally, I really don't see the need for this book, except to fill the coffers at rock fax towers. It doesn't add a huge amount unless you want to go to obscure places (in which case buy the definitive guide), climb E8 (in which case you probably don't need a guide) or want to justify saying you've climbed E1 when you've done Flying Buttress Direct (a HVS).

All the topo photos bar two are new. In the last Eastern Grit most of the pictures were taken in the winter giving the book a rather cold feel. The majority in the new book were taken at other times of the year.
As to the 'need' for it - the old book had sold out, the choice was a reprint or a rewrite - the rewrite option allowed us to include 30% more routes, a not insignificant number,

Chris

Post edited at 09:39
 TobyA 25 Apr 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

> Had a flick through it in a shop during the week - most of the topo photos look very, very similar to the last Eastern Grit.

Well, duh. It's a guidebook to exactly the same routes on the same crags - so that's not surprising is it!

> Personally, I really don't see the need for this book, except to fill the coffers at rock fax towers.

The old one is out of print so can't really think of a better reason for there to be a new version. If you've got the old one (or the BMC version) no one is forcing you to buy an update, but there will be people who aren't in that situation and who therefore might "see the need for this book".
 Offwidth 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Ciderslider:

Ignore him. FBD is pretty solid E1 to onsight but even though you have talked about it so much the adjectival grade is probably becoming irrelevant to you its a fine and memorable lead at any time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...