UKC

Leg wear for Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 charliehl 24 Apr 2015
Hi,

What do you recommend?

Softshell trousers and lightweight over trousers?

I have hard shell trousers that i use in Scotland in the winter, but i guess these are over kill.

Advice would be appreciated.

Charlie
 Jones_88 24 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:

mountain equipment ibex pants or something similar and a light weight waterproof just in case
 alexm198 24 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:

Might be putting my head above the parapet here, but in the past I've not bothered with waterproofs in the alps. If the weather looks bad, you don't tend to go out. I usually find a thin pair of softshell trousers are adequate (I have ME G2s), add some long johns if going high or if forecast looks cold.

Maybe others with more experience might think differently.
 Fredt 25 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:

I've always worn a pair of Ron Hills, under some Regatta Waterproof trousers.
 Simon4 25 Apr 2015
In reply to alexm198:

> but in the past I've not bothered with waterproofs in the alps. If the weather looks bad, you don't tend to go out.

No, but sometimes you get caught out, or decide to head out to see if it will improve. The weather over the course of an Alpine day is not sufficiently predictable to exclude rain, not to mention the fact that it can be good one day but bad the next, e.g. on the descent.

> Maybe others with more experience might think differently.

I certainly do - overtrousers are very useful indeed, not just to avoid rain (which you can certainly get on occasion quite high up), but also very importantly as a wind-stopping layer. Make sure if at all possible you have ones that will go on over crampons.
 goose299 25 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:

I've jsut worn some cheap regatta black cargo pants.
And had soem waterproofs for if the weather came in. Never had any bother
 Mark Haward 25 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:

Depends on nature and length of route, forecast, fitness, conditions etc. Lightweight but tough softshell trousers are my usual starting point. Personally I don't use base layer on legs in summer - too hot for me and a faff to remove in changing conditions.
Usually just the softshell trousers are fine, reluctant to take anything more. If a longer route ( 2 days or more ), probability of weather change, especially cold or going high / committing route I'll take very lightweight full length zip waterproof trousers. These can be added / removed easily. When starting very early you can have them on in the colder conditions and remove them as the sun comes up. Or just move faster and expect to be sometimes cold and sometimes hot - kinda goes with the territory.
If your first season, I'd be tempted to use what you have / borrow and then you will be able to work out what system / features work for you personally.
 LakesWinter 25 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:

Decathlon trackies with lightweight overtrousers in the bag and maybe wear base layer leggings underneath if it's an ice/mixed route with an early start, nice and cheap and works.
 Street 25 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:

I used Montane Terra pants and carried a pair of Marmot full zip over trousers last year. I wore some long Under Armour boxers underneath and I was plenty warm enough, if not too warm at times! My over trousers didn't come out of my pack at all either..
 GridNorth 25 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:

Softshell, Softshell, Softshell. I'm surprised that anything else is considered these days.

Several years ago I was talking to some Guides in Chamonix, they were convinced that the then ubiquitous Ron Hills were issued to British climbers by the BMC. I can't decide which looks worse, skinny legs in baggy Ron Hills or skin tight with bollocks looking like they want to burst out into the open.
One looks decidedly odd and the other is positively obscene. Ask your wives gents neither is a good look and they are not even value for money any more.
 Jerry67 26 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:

Firstly, a pair of Skins knee length shorts. They wick well and don't seem to get too smelly. Then my rule of thumb is Mammut softshells if over 4000m, Montane terra trousers if under. I have also been known to wear an old pair of Troll omnipants if I'm feeling stylish. Lightweight waterproof trousers in my sac.
Jerry
 jockster 26 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:
Keela Scuffers are a good lightweight softshell trouser. Can be had in baggy or slim leg styles. Not expensive either
Post edited at 15:54
 wercat 27 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:
I've often just used ordinary baggy light coloured coton/polycotton trousers from the likes of BHS/M&S etc, whatever is comfortable, bought at sales as I began using mountaineering semi wool salopettes and gradually wore lighter and lighter and more comfortable clothes over the years, nothing expensive. For day routes as has been said it's often wise to work in sympathy with the weather then you son't need waterproofs - fast and light is the aspiration - ha ha harder as you get older!
Post edited at 10:55
 Bob 27 Apr 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> Softshell, Softshell, Softshell. I'm surprised that anything else is considered these days.

For me softshell would be far too warm. Something the weight of Ron Hills is about right - the Alps in summer is far warmer than most realise and the main cooling factor is the wind so for the higher routes such as on the 4000 metre peaks then something windproof is required to go over the top of whatever you decide on. Even at altitude if you are on a south facing route then it's still really warm - for something like the Central Pillar of Freney I only wore what I'd be wearing for rock climbing on Scafell or Cloggy plus a lightweight fleece.
 nutme 27 Apr 2015

For summer I wear shorts and have light waterproof trousers in backpack. If I am going over 4k I'm bringing leggings as well.

Montane Terra are cool pants if you don't like shorts, but super expensive.
Post edited at 12:29
 MG 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Bob:

As a former (and still occasional) alpine Ronhill wearer, I think lightweight softshell trousers work well and are about the same warmth. They are also wind-proof which as you note is needed. For more cooling, I just pull them up to the top of my calves, plus-two style. The downside is they cost ten times as much as Ronhills.
 Simon4 27 Apr 2015
In reply to MG:

I feel sure that any decent alpinist will be delighted wear Ron Hills (with long underwear beneath), and consequently will have NO trouble in succeeding on the Taschhorn -> Dom traverse.
 Rick Graham 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Simon4:

I have a pair of Reebok trackster clones that served me very well on summer ascents of the Eiger Matterhorn and GJ North faces, worn with LJ underneath (and cheap lightweight overtrousers when storms hit.)

They still only come out for special occasions

Used to half own a shop full of expensive trousers,. Just chose to wear what suited me. It also helped that the tracksters were a freebie.
 Simon4 29 Apr 2015
 Rick Graham 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Simon4:

I also have a pair of Ron Hill cycling trackster thingies. Got a DWR treatment or something and actually quite good in wet conditions. Used them a lot for mountain biking, was going to try them for climbing, as the knees were not worn out. Big hole in backside from all the pedalling with cow shit/sheep shit/muddy arse. Having said that might be OK with matching shreddies.

and if you think RH's look bad, I followed Joe Tasker's advice and made a pair of sallopettes in 1978. Lie down on a piece of crimpolene, draw round yourself with chalk, cut and sew. try on, sew again to adjust. Worked really well.
In 1978 the alternative was jeans or moleskin/tweed plus fours.
 Solaris 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Simon4:

Maybe, but I can't see it being anything other than a solo trip!
 CurlyStevo 29 Apr 2015
In reply to charliehl:
The weather, altitude, destination, route and time of year massively effect this. Take the same as you would for Scotland but expect to mostly wear thin soft shell trousers with no base layer!
Post edited at 18:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...