UKC

Alpine Apparel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
yoyoalpine 25 Apr 2015
Heading to Switzerland this summer in August to climb things like the Matterhorn Hornli ridge and Eiger Mittellegi ridge.

Wearing:
Rab Meco baselayer
Patagonia R1
Some kind of windshell/lightweight softshell (looking at BD Alpine Start and Arc' Psiphon SL Pull)

Is this lightly to be warm enough when moving, and are there any more lightweight windshells like the ones above (must have HC hood)?

Carrying a downie and waterproof in the sack.

All advice welcome!

Bob 25 Apr 2015
In reply to yoyoalpine:

I know everyone is different in how they feel temperature but in the main I found that for summer Alpine stuff a pair of Ron Hills for my legs and a short sleeved thermal top along with a thin fleece were all I needed. Basically not much different to climbing on say Scafell or Cloggy in the summer months. If we were going to do a North face route then perhaps a long sleeved thermal.
 Mark Haward 25 Apr 2015
Personally I would also find what you have suggested too warm. On both those routes, especially the Hornli, you will be moving constantly for a long time.
I would suggest a lightweight, light coloured, long sleeved wicking layer with a chest zip for extra venting and enough give in the sleeves to roll them up. Over this I would take a lightweight, hooded softshell jacket. Helmet compatible hood, pockets accessible with harness on. Lightweight, rugged softshell trousers with venting zips. This is likely to be all you need most of the route.
In cooler conditions; early morning, strong wind, high altitude, when stopping, colder weather; I will carry a lightweight primaloft 1 jacket (60g). ( Could use down but primaloft is better for common UK conditions and I don't want to spend extra money ). This may be either a gilet or jacket depending on conditions. These are very light, compressible, many can be stored in their own pockets and clipped to your harness so they are quick and easy to get out or put away with minimum fuss and are windproof.
Very lightweight waterproof hardshell jacket and full length zip trousers if necessary. Have fun!
 Alpenglow 26 Apr 2015
In reply to yoyoalpine:

Mountain Equipment do a Squall jacket which is roughly similar in weight. It has a full hood which covers the face a bit more and only weighs ~20g more
 AlanLittle 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Bob:

Agree with Mark; personally I'd be way too hot in summer going uphill in something like an R1
 summo 26 Apr 2015
In reply to yoyoalpine:

I'd ditched the spare down and waterproof. If you need either of these, then it's probably not the weather to be anywhere near there.

Fleece jacket of some type, but not the thickest. Wind/water proof jacket. I'd probably start with 3 layers on the upper body when setting off very early doors. Then at first light, ditch layer when I stop to lose head torch and put on glasses, drink and suncream all at the same time. Job done.

I'd also only pick jackets that have pit venting. As if you can lose some heat without having to stop and lose or swap layers, that's time saved.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...