UKC

Urban commuting - 35 or 32 mm tyres?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 25 Apr 2015
Having inspected them carefully, I've decided I really should replace my tyres on my CX which I use mainly for commuting. They tyres have cracked sidewalls in quite a few places. They are Schwalbe Marathon Plus and I've had them on a couple of different commuting bikes now over the last almost 7 years. I'm not totally certain but I would guess I've done about 12000 kms on them without ever getting a puncture so I suppose I've had my money's worth! I'm going to be amazingly original and replace them with... another pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus! But whether to get another pair of 35s, as the current pair is, or to live life on the edge and go down to 32s?

My thoughts are 32s might be marginally faster and a bit lighter but more likely to go into the Sheffield tram tracks which I now dread on my daily commute after skidding and crashing on them a couple of months back. 35s should be a bit more comfy on Sheffield's horribly potholed and rough streets too. Just interested in what other people use on their urban bikes.

I actually have asked a couple of guys riding classic road bikes (23 or 25mm tyres) who stopped next to me at lights if they got punctures, one chap told me about ten so far this year!
In reply to TobyA:

You're overthinking the problem ?
 Indy 25 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Currently using 25mm GatorSkin Hardshell's on my CX commuter and have never had an issues with punctures. 35 sounds like something you'd fit to a car
In reply to Indy:

Errmm......
he's apparently in Sheffield
- have you ever encountered the legendary Supertram tracks ?
I assume he's not going for a PB,
so 'comfort not speed'
- and longevity
OP TobyA 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

> You're overthinking the problem ?

Yes almost certainly, and avoiding doing real work that I really should be doing! My only defence is that the last pair lasted so long that I will have many years to notice any minor differences. I guess even say 0.1 kmph difference in speed would add up to a good few hours spread over 7 years and 12,000 k!
Plus falling off on the tram tracks REALLY did hurt.
In reply to TobyA:

Go fat !!!!!

But even a fairly minor injury will rule out the theoretical time saving ?

(where in Sheffield are you ?)
OP TobyA 25 Apr 2015

> he's apparently in Sheffield

Yep, where the road surfacing is exceptionally crap (well, actually, is it? Not sure. Having only been back in the UK since last summer I guess I haven't ridden in enough British towns and cities to say that Sheffield roads are exceptionally crap, but I pity any cyclists anywhere where the surfacing is worse!).

> - have you ever encountered the legendary Supertram tracks ?

All too closely! The Sheffield cycling twitterratti pointed me to http://tramcrash.co.uk/ after my incident as it's clearly not a rare occurrence.

In reply to Indy:

I've got 25s now on my road bike - Schwalbe Durano Pluses which have been excellent so far (I bought them because I was so impressed with the Marathon Plus and have become a bit brand-loyal!) but I worry about my wheels on Sheffield's streets because of the cracks and potholes everywhere. Have you found 25 enough air for where you ride? What did your CX bike come with? Pretty sure mine came with 35 CX tyres (which punctured all the time).

OP TobyA 25 Apr 2015

> Go fat !!!!!

Sounds sensible.

> But even a fairly minor injury will rule out the theoretical time saving ?

Yes, very true.

> (where in Sheffield are you ?)

Live up towards Graves Park, working currently in Worral, so go through/round the centre and then all the way through Hillsborough following the tram route on my commute.
In reply to TobyA:

Hmmm... interesting (due to distance travelled), if you can eliminate tram routes, thinner might be the way to go, or be super vigilant on your everyday route.
OP TobyA 25 Apr 2015

Yes, since the crash, for coming home I've been dropping down to the Penistone Road sooner and riding the bike path there to avoid the tram tracks, but somehow still going to work Infirmary/Langsett seems better - a more gradual gaining of height I suppose.
 Marek 25 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> I've got 25s now on my road bike - Schwalbe Durano Pluses which have been excellent so far (I bought them because I was so impressed with the Marathon Plus and have become a bit brand-loyal!) but I worry about my wheels on Sheffield's streets because of the cracks and potholes everywhere. Have you found 25 enough air for where you ride?

I agree. Schwalbe and fat is good. I have 2.3" Big Bens on my commuter. Pot holes? What pot holes? But sometimes I use my road bike with 25s and then I remember the pot holes. Or die.
In reply to TobyA:

Nikki rides with 23s all winter and summer in Sheffield to commute, and for longer rides. Not a problem, no punctures in quite a while!! She's got the GatorHardShells (one up from the GatorSkins, more puncture resistant, worth it given commute through industrial estates) which have made a big difference (well maybe... starting to get punctures in previous GatorShells but prob after 8000+km)

Go down to 32s, or alternatively stick to your road bike :P
OP TobyA 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Cheers. I'm impressed with anyone who takes on these roads with so little suspension in narrow tyres! Riding down the hill from my house it always feels like my teeth are going to fall out its so bumpy and that with 35 mm tyres!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...