UKC

Climbing harness - when to get a new one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ElaineJD79 25 Apr 2015
When should a climbing harness be replaced?
 zimpara 25 Apr 2015
In reply to ElaineJD79:

Will start things off with:

1) when it doesn't fit correctly.
 TobyA 25 Apr 2015
In reply to ElaineJD79:

When it's knackered.

It's sort of a how long is a piece of string question - how much do you use it? How hard do you use it? The companies seem to say 10 years maximum but BD recommends 3 years for a harness in regular use http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/qc-lab-strength-of-worn-belay-loops.htm...

When you start worrying about it - might be the best answer. I've used some harnesses for over a decade without any problems but I would say after about five years of pretty regular use, I'd get a new one these days.
In reply to ElaineJD79:

When you lose it, damage it or otherwise misplace it. Failing that, it should be done when you think it needs replacing i.e. when you no longer feel safe in it. If you don't know when this might be, seek advice...
 HeMa 26 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> When it's knackered.

Indeed

> When you start worrying about it - might be the best answer.

More often.

To be honest, you should get a new harness when:
1) belay loop is visibly frayed/degraded/knackered.
2) the waist tightening strap is visibly frayed/degraded/knackered.
3) legloops are visibly frayed/degraded/knackered.
4) you feel like it.
 dmca 26 Apr 2015
In reply to ElaineJD79:

I've got a BD momentum where the leg buckles have gone rusty and the waist buckle has the paint (anodising?) chipped off (and maybe showing some corrosion). Plenty of life left in the tie in points and belay loop, it's only three years old, and I'm pretty sure it's fine for a few more years. Thinking of replacing anyway mind, to alleviate my paranoia.
OP ElaineJD79 29 Apr 2015
In reply to ElaineJD79:

Thanks for the replies all. I've got a Camp harness....the only harness I've ever had since I bought it from new in 1999 but I am not a 'regular' or 'serious' climber....more a very on/off climber and there has been a period when I didn't climb for 5 years. To my eyes, the harness is in no way damaged and I'm happy and confident to be using it to be honest. That being said, it is highly likely I will buy a new one this year but only because I've had it so long and I just feel like getting a new one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...