UKC

Recovery time after surgery for labral tear in hip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nic_nac_doodle 26 Apr 2015
Hi all,

I've been climbing for just over a year now, but have been in a lot of pain due to a recently diagnosed labral tear in my hip pretty much that entire time. I've been able to manage fairly well on easier climbs, but as I improve I'm finding that my injury is holding me back due to trying harder climbs that require either technique that I struggle to do due to my injury or strength which I've lost due to my injury.

I'm having keyhole surgery in July but my consultant hasn't told me much about recovery times. I've had a look on the web and estimates vary from about 2-4 weeks on crutches, 2-4 weeks until you can drive again and 12 weeks until you can get back to high impact sport (I also played a lot of netball).

Has anyone had keyhole surgery for a hip labral tear and if so, what was the recovery time like and when could you climb again?

I'm doing my physio exercises to try to improve my strength and stability before my op in the hopes that this will help in my recovery so I can get back to climbing as soon as is sensible.

Thanks,

Nic
In reply to nic_nac_doodle:

Would be grateful for any advice from physios or other health professionals that might have treated similar injuries too
 shaun walby 03 May 2015

Hi Nic

Your estimations look about right, but as always the surgeon will have a much clearer idea when he has been in and seen. A lot will depend on which approach the surgeon is proposing and if you have a labral tear in isolation, frequently they are due to cam/pincer bony impingment problem frequently a mix of both.

An open approach with dislocation or arthroscope with dislocation, the dislocation brings its own potential problems which aim sure you've read around, scope will be a quicker recovery re much less trauma at the hip.

Hip labral injuries are something climbers are very prone to re hyperflexion twisting and large forced been generated in outer range, netball with jumping twisting must also be high.

Arthroscopy for hip labral repairs is relatively recent treatment/surgery, current research suggests they often go undiagnosed for years...the high pitch click is a fair indication you've got a labral tear.

Sadly the labral tear is often only part of the story, hip arthritic change is frequently resent but of course age is the main determinant there.

Good luck with the repair

FactorXXX 03 May 2015

Can't help you I'm afraid, but every time I see 'labral tear', I misread it and think ouch...

PS. Hope you mend soon!
 Rory Shaw 03 May 2015

I had a labral tear and pincer cam impingement. Underwent keyhole. All good really. Recovery delayed due to an operational related injury which put me back about 1 month. Was cycle touring round Cuba 5 months later. Was notin a massive rush to get back into the climbing and just built it up slowly over the course of the year. Since, I have been back climbing nearly to my previous standard and dont feel limited by the hip. Have also done lots of ski mountaineering with no problems at all. Take it steady and work hard on your rehab physio.

Best of luck
 grommet 03 May 2015

Daughter has had this done. If you are on Facebook there is a closed group you can join, called hip impingement awareness which she said is helpful. Sorry I couldn't post a link.
In reply to Rory Shaw:

Thanks Rory, that's a much more hopeful view than some other people's experiences. Good to know that you were able to be active fairly early on.

Yeah I definitely plan to work hard on my rehab. Currently finishing a doctorate too so it's going to be busy times!!

Thanks Grommet, I'll definitely have a look!
 Rory Shaw 03 May 2015

That makes 2 of us - finishing a doctorate hopefully by the end of the month. Good luck
In reply to Rory Shaw:

Really? Ha, if you tell me you're doing clinical psychology as well that'll be a really weird coincidence! Good luck with the last stretch of your doctorate! My viva is two weeks before my surgery, but the timing could be worse

Nic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...