UKC

Tubeless Experiences

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Is this too much of a coincidence? My wife recently converted to tubeless tyres whilst I’ve stuck with inner tubes. We’re both running exactly the same tyres of the age, yet on the last four outings she’s picked up four big thorns whereas I’ve got off scot-free.

Fortunately each one self sealed when the thorn was removed (which is making me a bit of a convert to tubeless as had it happened to me it would have been a new tube job). However, it didn’t, and unless its coincidence the only thing that I can think of is that the lower pressures (25 psi) with a tubeless set up make the tyres somehow softer and therefore more prone to picking up sharp objects, whereas a relatively hard 45 psi tyre is more resilient.

Anyone else had similar experiences?
 Guy 27 Apr 2015
In reply to exiled_northerner:

Going on that logic, you could run yours tubeless at 45psi and have the best of both worlds. I think she was a bit unlucky and I do think you are slightly more prone to thorns at lower pressures but the performance gains of running lower pressures is definitely worth it. I love tubeless on my MTB and hope to convert my cross bike to tubeless at some point.
 Bob 27 Apr 2015

I've run tubeless for just under a year now. Pressures according to the Stans formula (weight in stone x 2, then -1 for front, +2 for rear) so pressures are 25/28. Not had any problems at all including when I've forgotten to check the pressure until after the ride and the front's been at 16psi!

balmybaldwin 27 Apr 2015

There is no doubt in it. A proper tubeless set-up for mtb is vastly superior to a tubed set-up in terms of puncture "resistance" i.e. not having catastrophic loss of pressure requiring a new tube, grip levels due to the pressure you can run at, near elimination of pinch flat issues, and these days its easy to set-up and reliable. your experience with thorns is probably just luck (and it is hedge trimming time of year). Go tubeless when you can - you won't regret it
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to exiled_northerner)
>
> ..and it is hedge trimming time of year). Go tubeless when you can - you won't regret it

Got it in one with the hedge trimming! I'm definitely going tubless ... just a question of getting my ar$e in gear and getting round to it

blurty 27 Apr 2015

I've been tubeless for 3 -4 years (Ardent tyres, Stan's rims etc).

In 5 years I've topped up the latex twice, and replaced the tyres twice.

No flat tyres at all yet (though I do have to pump the tyres up more than a bike with tubes)

When I replaced the tyres there must have been 20+ thorns etc through the carcass of the each tyre.
 Chris the Tall 27 Apr 2015

Been running tubeless for about 5 years now and would highly recommend it. Bit of a hassle to set up at first, but well worth it. With thorns etc it's just down to bad luck - years back I remember getting 4 on one ride - but as long as you've got fluid in the tires they should self-seal, and even if they don't it's still easier to put a plug in than change a the inner tyre. Very surprised if having a tube would make you less prone to them, but statistically your sample is way too small to be significant.

The bit advantage is with snakebites - how often have you been ripping down a descent, landed a bit heavily and you hear the dreaded hiss? On one section at Afan all 3 of my mates punctured at differant points within a 100 metres of each other, as did a couple of other people as my mates were fixing theirs.

Only twice have I had to put a tube in - both times in the Lakes when I've ripped a tyre on sharp slate drainage ditches.
 AlisonSmiles 27 Apr 2015

Does your missus have a tendency to ride closer to the hedges and through the thorns by any chance? Do you take different lines? I've been tubeless for maybe two and a half years (of regular, frequent off road use) and have (touch wood) only punctured once in the kind of fashion requiring an on trail introducing of an inner tube. That wheel's side walls had seen better days.
 Bob Hughes 27 Apr 2015

> Fortunately each one self sealed when the thorn was removed (which is making me a bit of a convert to tubeless as had it happened to me it would have been a new tube job). However, it didn’t, and unless its coincidence the only thing that I can think of is that the lower pressures (25 psi) with a tubeless set up make the tyres somehow softer and therefore more prone to picking up sharp objects, whereas a relatively hard 45 psi tyre is more resilient.

It could be that with lower psi you have more of the tire in contact with the ground so more likely to run over something sharp?

I've had far fewer punctures running tubeless than with tubes - but 95% of my punctures are pinch punctures.

Chris the Tall 27 Apr 2015
In reply to blurty:

> In 5 years I've topped up the latex twice, and replaced the tyres twice.

> When I replaced the tyres there must have been 20+ thorns etc through the carcass of the each tyre.

Seriously ? What sealant are you using ? And how much ? You tend to get cauliflowers growing wherever you have a hole, so I'm a bit surprised you haven't run dry.
 ChrisJD 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Had similar experience to you Chris: takes getting used to setting up and finding the right pressure - riding style - terrain- tyre combo. But once you've got that sorted, its so much better than tubes.

The only downside are rock tears through the tyre. If the push in plugs don't work (they usually do), then it's a bit messy and a faff with inner tubes.
 neil0968 27 Apr 2015
In reply to exiled_northerner: Ive only be running tubeless for less 6 weeks on my new full suss mountain bike and all I can say is I will never use inner tubes again .Punctures self seal you can run lower pressure if you want you save on weight the bike just rides and grips better.Use stans its the best set up is easy .Tubeless is the way to go .
 Bob Hughes 28 Apr 2015
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Had similar experience to you Chris: takes getting used to setting up and finding the right pressure - riding style - terrain- tyre combo. But once you've got that sorted, its so much better than tubes.

> The only downside are rock tears through the tyre. If the push in plugs don't work (they usually do), then it's a bit messy and a faff with inner tubes.

in fairness these are a problem if you've got tubes as well. I carry a sheaf of plastic with me and a spare inner tube for this kind of thing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...