UKC

My first propper attempt a t a Time Lapse Project

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 27 Apr 2015

I'd appreciate any advice or criticism on my execution of this project and how I could improve. It was shot with my dSLR. Each shot was one second apart with a half second exposure. I did ask everybody not to stand around the camera, but I might of well said please do stand in front of the camera as much as possible, for all the good it did.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEJHSn4ziY0&feature=youtu.be
Post edited at 20:53
 Morgan Woods 28 Apr 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

That was really cool....i think the subject matter works really well with people all doing different things at different speeds around a common location. How long did the editing take and how big was the file size?
OP The Lemming 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Morgan Woods:

There were other opportunities as the Scrap yard set up a T-Bone collision. You can just see a car behind the green one. That one had its roof and doors removed but too many people stood in front of the camera to obscure all the good stuff.

As for the video I made, it was taken using two and a half thousand images. I set the JPEGS up at the lowest possible resolution which was around 2k each. There was no point having them at the max resolution for HD TV. Its just a waste of pixels. I tarted them up and cropped each frame using Lightroom before moving them all over to Premier Elements. Its Premier Elements that took the most time as I haven't got a scooby on how to use it properly.

If the opportunity arises again, then I will try and get an Ariel vantage point. Elf and Safety would have a fit.
 balmybaldwin 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Good stuff mr Lemming. I'm surprised that you found the premier elements bit took a long time. IIRC there's almost a wizard that does most of the work for you - did you use that or pull in each image on its own?

A good improvement (but difficult to do) would be to have the camera position moving on a dolly... doesn't need to move far, maybe a meter or 2. There's quite a lot of good vids on you tube on how to make one your self
OP The Lemming 01 May 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Have not tried the guided version of Premier as I feel like it's giving in. I just opened the file with 4,000 images and watched my RAM take it to the Max.

rallymania 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

First of, good effort!

i'm not sure what all the options in elements are but my 2p's worth.+

you can simulate the appearance of having a slider if your images are bigger than the size of your movie resolution by "panning / zooming" the visible frame across the image if that makes sense? it's not as good as an actual slider / dolly because you don't get the cool 3D effect of the camera actually moving, but it can look better than just being static.

no flicker in the movie which is good... did you use the "lens part off" trick?

does elements let you nest a sequence inside another sequence? if so you can split your timeline into manageable chunks (for your computer) and then bring them all together into a "master" sequence at the end.

next time...
More than one angle if that's possible too? (i appreciate if you are taking part in the training so probably not)
if you look at a lot of time lapses on the internet (one of my many addictions lol) most of them only have maybe 15 seconds or less between "cuts" so, if you take one frame a second, output 25fps and a 15 second cut you're moving the camera every 6.5 minutes roughly. again not very practical in the middle of a training exercise.

blurty 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

(I am a punter).

I thought you could have placed the camera in-front of the car? Or off-set at least, to show a bit more of the action & less 'backs'.

The firefighter at the back of the engine at 1:25 was a laugh!

Good effort!!
 balmybaldwin 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

It's not in the guided part (at least it wasn't on elements 11) - it's in the advanced controls... its an import option where you select the images for the sequence, set frame rates etc and it pulls the lot in.

Just looked at v13... in the add media menu, choose files or folders, select all photos and then tick the numbered stills check box (your stills need to be numbered in sequence) and i think that triggers it (I can't test as I havent got any numbered stills easily accessible right now)
OP The Lemming 01 May 2015
In reply to blurty:

> (I am a punter).

> I thought you could have placed the camera in-front of the car? Or off-set at least, to show a bit more of the action & less 'backs'.

Hi,

Yep, I set my camera in four locations through the morning but where ever I placed the camera people congregated. The only analogy that I can think of is flies round the proverbial.

The roof being removed and the extraction of the victim through the back of the vehicle had potential but was screwed up my people hogging the best spots in front of the camera. I may as well have stuck a sign by the big fek-off tripod saying "Please stand here for as long as possible".

On the whole, I only had a few hours notice that I had permission to being my toys so I worked with what I had.

Thanks everybody for your help and advice.
 richprideaux 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Some inspiration for next time - if you have lots of time and lots of patience... I'm not sure I could hack it

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/08/dolly-zoom-timelapse-how-to-pull-off
 d_b 01 May 2015
In reply to richprideaux:

The software is cheating! I only like doing timelapse because it is hard.
 richprideaux 01 May 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

What, the warp stabilisation?
 d_b 02 May 2015
In reply to richprideaux:

I thought the whole point was to stand outside getting cold for hours before finding that your results were rubbish. It's what I do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...