UKC

Barnsley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 27 Apr 2015
I have a job interview in Barnsley later in the week. Who knows if I will get it or not, but just in case I do get offered it, I should know something about the place! The closest I've come to visiting Barnsley is driving past the junction on the M1 so really know next to nothing about it. People of Barnsley: are you super-proud of your town? A bit proud? A bit "meh"? Why so? Anything I should really know about Barnsley?

And a related, even more specific, question does anyone commute to the Barnsley area from Sheffield? Google tells me it should only take 30 minutes with no traffic, but getting to and then up the M1 in the mornings I could imagine to be quite hellish.
 Chambers 27 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Barnsley chops are nice, but they don't necessarily come from Barnsley.
 John Ww 27 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

The majority of Barnsley is (like Ebola) best avoided, but there are some lovely spots only a few miles from the centre, such as Notton, Woolley, Cawthorne etc. Travelling from Sheffield isn't a massive pita once you get through Hillsborough, and you don't have to go on the M1. To get an idea of the local wildlife, go into the town centre on a Friday night.

HTH, JW
 Dave the Rave 27 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:
Barnsley is well known for the quality of its trout.
You will get brownie points with your interviewers if you say ' I want to work here to eat Barnsley Trout'.
OP TobyA 27 Apr 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Thanks Dave. Very helpful.

I see there is even a club for catching it http://www.barnsleytroutclub.co.uk/ which doesn't say a lot for that reservoir! http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Barnsley%20trout
 splat2million 27 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Personally I'd live in Sheffield and commute to Barnsley. Indeed I shall be doing this from August when my job moves (back) to Barnsley. I live in the north of Sheffield. The commute is pretty reasonable, although the Sheffield part can be quite busy at rush-hour if you have to go through the centre and up Penistone road. The M1 is usually fine (when there are no road works).

I also lived in Barnsley for 6 months when I first moved up to Yorkshire in 2012. It was an ok town, but there was nothing particularly inspiring about it (although I had just moved from Oxford which is a beautiful city).

Personally I find Sheffield a more interesting city, and it is closer to the Peak District climbing areas.
 kevin stephens 28 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I'm in Grenoside which is just to the North of Sheffield and would be easy to commute to Barnsley. Open countryside and woodland on my doorstep and still very close to Sheffield
In reply to TobyA:

Where is the job at? Barnsley whist been quite a small market town is a fair sized borough. Some been lovely leafy villages some been former pit villages which are still in something of a time warp. Depending on your knowledge of the local roads you could bike commute in better weather on a variety of ways. On and off road. Depends where you live in Sheffield. Barnsley is cheaper to live has access to all the major road networks and as a rule is safer than cities like Sheffield as it doesn't really suffer from gun crime and the gang situation.

deacondeacon 28 Apr 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:

I also live on the grenoside side of town and although it's a nice area it's surrounded by some dumps. Being able to walk to Wharncliffe is a massive bonus but although it's a nice drive eastern grit is a pain to get to after work. 40 minute drive to Stanage and Peak limestone is just a bit too far for after work.
We're planning our escape back to West Sheffield now, after moving up here to make the commute shorter.
In reply to deacondeacon:

But at Greno I have world class road cycling and MTB on doorstep, true it is a faff to get to Stanage, but being at the end of the Woodhead makes N Wales more accessible - must meet for a pint at the Old Red sometime
 ro8x 28 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

In a nutshell, small town but a big heart. Lived in Barnsley until I was 22 and moved to Sheffield for work.

Would happily live there again as you can get into the peak quite easily if you live on the right side of town. Also the train direct to Sheffield is 20 mins and much easier than trying to get up Penistone road out of Sheffield!

Bellie 28 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:
I grew up in a place called High Green which is North Sheffield. It isn't far to Barnsley. When I worked in Barnsley, if I travelled by car I could be in the centre in about 20-25 mins. There is also Chapeltown and Burncross too which has some nice estates. You can catch the train from Chapeltown and be in town in 15 mins. Or there are buses from Chapeltown to Barnsley.
Post edited at 09:44
 Tom Valentine 28 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

If the number of nationalities living in a place is any sort of indicator, then judging by the number of different languages spoken in the town centre, Barnsley must be at least as cosmopolitan as London or Paris.
While the east side of the borough (where my "time warp" village is situated) has nothing very special as far as scenery is concerned, it is not much different from vast tracts of land in Picardy, for instance; on the other hand, the western side has scenery to match some of England's best, as long as you can appreciate moorland and don't want everything to be treed up to heaven.
OP TobyA 28 Apr 2015
In reply to all:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. As it turns out the interview I had today elsewhere went really well and I got offered a job; this is in NE Derbyshire not too far from where I live in S. Sheffield, so the children of Barnsley have dodged the bullet of having me teach them! Thanks again all.
 deacondeacon 28 Apr 2015

> - must meet for a pint at the Old Red sometime
Sounds good. Or a few routes at the mighty Wharncliffe
 deacondeacon 28 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:
Congratulations
In reply to deacondeacon:

Cool, having just moved to Grenoside from Wigan I've yet to climb at Wharncliffe - as soon as it warms up a bit!
OP TobyA 28 Apr 2015

I've just soloed some easy routes at Wharncliffe so far, so I'd be up for an evening session there too if you fellas are interested!
 d_b 28 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Wharncliffe? Pah! The true gem to the north of Sheffield is Stannington Ruffs!
 ro8x 29 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Congrats on the job!

Started at Wharncliffe, I think the climbing there is excellent - highly recommend.
In reply to TobyA:

Yes congratulations or maybe commiserations, as you may never now sample the delights of Woolley quarry.
 ro8x 29 Apr 2015
In reply to John Simpson:

hah! What a place that is, does it still get any traffic? Cannot remember his username fully, but Ackworth*****? Does he still climb around there?
 drsdave 29 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:
Toby ignore the negative comments, Barnsley is a mega place. Housing is affordable and climbing is on yer door step, its green and the people are straight up straight forward and if you give em grief then you'll get it returned but if you make the effort you have some great times. Be stuck up and awkward then good luck to you!
Er if you really want to fit in be yourself, oh it could help if you buy a dog, prefered choice a terrier and for ''f'' sake dont never mention the ''T'' word as a positive and especially on a bus late on a weekend night! Good luck.
In reply to ro8x:
> hah! What a place that is, does it still get any traffic? Cannot remember his username fully, but Ackworth*****? Does he still climb around there?

Morning, I'd be supprised if it gets much traffic if any these days, the last time I went up was a couple of summers ago, I could see the area where beast of Ackworth had been working but it had started to overgrow again, it could possibly be mint if it was fully cleaned out, but I really can't see that happening at least in the foreseeable future, and it will probably remain as a fly tipping spot.
Post edited at 07:48
 robert-hutton 30 Apr 2015
In reply to John Simpson:

Worked in Barnsley for the last 28 years, I live in bents green takes me around 40 minutes to get to work and around 60 minutes to get home
Train only takes around 20 minutes station to station
Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...