UKC

30 litre simple but decent quality rucksack - suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 28 Apr 2015
As per the thread title, I'm after a decent quality, but simple 30L sack.

I want a main compartment & top pocket, & decent materials/construction & that's it.

I don't want the thing festooned with hundreds of pockets, straps, bungees, flashy "aero-cool-mesh-flow-ergo-frame" back & loads of other superfluous nonsense.

I've got a Berghaus Vercors 30, which has been very good, but is now dying, and is no longer available.

Everything seems to be either cheap & nasty, or dead flash & getting on for £100.

Any suggestions?

d_b 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Chris Harris:
This is slightly bigger than you want, but I have a pod alpine 40 that fills the medium sized rucsac role very well.

http://www.podsacs.com/i/q/CCPAL40/pod-alpine-40-backpack
Post edited at 13:39

How about on of these: http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showpro...

Simple, lightweight, tough as old boots and UK made too.

I've had mine for getting on for ten years and it is still going strong.
 Roland.Online 28 Apr 2015

I got one of these recently:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lowe-alpine-half-dome-35-rucksack-62110617

Only £45 for a 35 litre tank. I could do without the silly elastic bungees, easy enough to slice off, but other than that it's a good gear bag.

Cheers
nikkormat 28 Apr 2015

£40, Simond Alpinism 32. I've had mine for a few years and it seems tough and generally well designed. The only downside for me is that the back panel is a little floppy.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-32-climbing-mountaineering-backpack-bla...
 timmeehhhh 28 Apr 2015

Blue Ice Warthog and Exped Core are worth a look! Both are very basic and durable.
 George Fisher 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

seconded. Had mine about 5 years. Good as new, used for everything from trips to the wall to winter ice routes.

zimpara 28 Apr 2015

Berghaus Munro. Bomber and simple.
 Jimmy1976 28 Apr 2015

Try Montane with either their Medusa 32 (£80) or the Cobra 25 (£70).
I've got the cobra and think it's a great sack. Great quality and well made.
 David Staples 28 Apr 2015

Osprey Mutant 28

Great all-rounder. Light, Comfy and fairly simple
 mcanuda 28 Apr 2015

I've got the medusa 32 as well and like it. You could have a look at Alpkit Gourdon for a very clean basic bag.
 Toerag 29 Apr 2015

Karrimor Hotrock? Mine's done me well.
OP Chris Harris 29 Apr 2015

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. The Karrimor Hotrock certainly looks worth a look, good price point as well.
 Green Porridge 29 Apr 2015

I've had a OMM Jirishanca for nearly 10 years now, and it's light, simple, and unfortunately indestructible. My one is the older, vile orange colour, and I've been wanting to get something a bit more subtle (like the new colour, for example), but the old one just won't die, and I'm loathed to get rid of it otherwise. I remember unpacking it and thinking that the materials weren't much cop, but time has proved otherwise! It's been through a lot, and been thoroughly abused, I would certainly recommend it for your purposes. I also find the pockets in the hip belt excellent for keeping you moving, particularly in winter, when you don't want to have to stop and take a pack off to get that mars bar out.
 HeMa 30 Apr 2015

If 26 liters isn't too small, Blue Ice Warthog (or 35 too big).

Or this:
http://www.outdoorline.sk/en/backpacks/344-hyperlite-mountain-gear-summit-p...
 Glyno 30 Apr 2015
In reply to George Fisher:

> seconded. Had mine about 5 years. Good as new, used for everything from trips to the wall to winter ice routes.

thirded. Not cheap, but you may never need buy another sack, ever.
 Carolyn 30 Apr 2015

Macpac might also be worth a look. I'm not sure what there current small climbing sac is called, they last so well there's no need to replace often
Heavier fabric than some, which obviously helps with durability, but isn't great for every use.
In reply to Chris Harris: FWIW, I'm another big fan of the Blue Ice Warthog.
 George Fisher 30 Apr 2015
In reply to Glyno:

> thirded. Not cheap, but you may never need buy another sack, ever.

I think mine was £65 with a couple of custom options. Still cheaper than most. That said I like the design of the Arc'teryx FL45 if a bit more modern is your thing.
OP Chris Harris 30 Apr 2015
In reply to Carolyn:

> Macpac might also be worth a look. I'm not sure what there current small climbing sac is called, they last so well there's no need to replace often

> Heavier fabric than some, which obviously helps with durability, but isn't great for every use.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/macpac-pitch-rucksack-62110618?id_colour=108

£150!!!!!!
Lusk 30 Apr 2015

> £150!!!!!!

and sodding heavy 2kg!
I have a Grivel AirTech 28 @ about 400gms.
Basically, that's 1.5 litres of water for free!

ben b 30 Apr 2015

The Blue Ice 38 was for sale at SportPursuit for 40 quid last week - perhaps no surprise they have sold out already!

Trouble with SP is that you have to sign up and read their emails to know what is on offer. And the emails come in daily, so that's another email to clog up the inbox.
Anyone who wants to sign up feel free to do so via my referral link disclosure if you buy something I get a 5 quid referrers fee... http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/Ben_Brockway_75946

In reply to the OP: Expensive again, but the Cactus Climbing Miklat would fit the bill: http://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/packs-bags/miklat.html
Bear in mind that proper NZ packs are made of canvas and last forever, but weigh more (1kg for the Miklat, which is not excessive given the thing is named after a bombshelter).

More locally, POD Cragsac is heavier (1.5kg) but durable and solid. There's also a Macpac Weka 30, which is half the weight of the other macpac one...

Cheers
b

PPP 30 Apr 2015
In reply to ben b:

> Trouble with SP is that you have to sign up and read their emails to know what is on offer. And the emails come in daily, so that's another email to clog up the inbox.
And makes you buy stuff you don't actually need!
 ben b 30 Apr 2015
In reply to PPP:

Aye, good point! I'm protected by living in NZ, which means it's tough to justify buying anything that needs sizing and might need returning - although MrsB has managed to get half price Inov8 trail running shoes sent out from them without any problems.

As an aside, kit in NZ is astoundingly expensive, and buying from SP doesn't help local retailers... These days for big ticket purchases I wait until I'm in the UK or US and just pay 50-60% of the NZ price. I feel bad for my local outdoor store but they still get quite a lot of my money on things that are needed more urgently.

b
 Only a hill 30 Apr 2015

Montane Medusa 32. It's a great pack.
 allanscott 30 Apr 2015

The Lowe Alpine Half Dome 35 is a snip at £45 quid from Cotswold. Been using one for 18 months and it looks like new despite being used most weekends. Only downside is no dedicated attachment for poles.
 Sharp 01 May 2015

Unfortunately the fashion most rucksack manufacturers seem to be going for is making them out of as many different pieces of lighweight fabric as possible and making as many joins and stitch lines as possible. My old berghaus rucksack is still going strong while my friends brand new one completely fell to pieces after it's first outing, unfortunately jettisoning his ice axe as the first loop broke (the second was soon to follow).

The choices before you are:

1) cheap and shit that will fall apart
2) expensive and shit that will fall apart
3) Blue Ice or Aguille
 iksander 01 May 2015

Lomo 40L <£30. Simple, tough, pretty light, waterproof

https://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/walkers-drybag-rucksack.html
 Scott K 01 May 2015

If you can get hold of a Cilo gear 30 workSac they are great. Lightweight, strong and basic made with good materials and you can add on straps, pockets etc if you want. They also strip down for climbing.
 ben b 01 May 2015
In reply to Sharp:
addendum:

4) Cactus Miklat.

I refer you to my earlier post. Expensive, indestructible.

b
 ben b 01 May 2015
In reply to Fraser:

The Blue Ice one is a nice pack, too (same sale)

b
 nutme 27 May 2015
In reply to Fraser:

Deuter Guide 32 is a good pack, but it's very heavy and not simple. It has a lot of bells and whistles like rope strap, ski loops, made from waterproof material, has a lot of attachment points and even a gear loops of waist. It just sounds like an overkill for the requirements.
 LucaC 27 May 2015
In reply to nutme:

The new BD speed 30 wins for me. Mountain cragging, multi day summer trips, winter overnight trips, winter climbing, pretty much does it all. And you can strip off anything you don't use.
Climber Phil 27 May 2015
Arc teryx alpha fl30. Bomber simple pack and carries well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...