UKC

Media packages.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 arch 28 Apr 2015
Our Daughter and her boyfriend are moving into a brand new house on an estate soon. As you can imagine, Media is very important to them. Virgin haven't laid any of their cables on the site as of yet, so they are out. I'm assuming BT have. But which other Media provider is there for her to choose from ?? and which one would you recommend ??

Phone, Broadband, TV. Best packages, that sort of thing.

Thanks.
 tony 28 Apr 2015
In reply to arch:
I can't make any recommendations, but I would caution against assuming that BT have made the appropriate connections. There are some horror stories about the length of time it's taking BT to get new builds connected.
Post edited at 16:13
 cfer 28 Apr 2015
In reply to arch:

In the past few years I have had the Big 3... Sky, BT and now Virgin. Virgin is by far the best. But not an option although worth ringing to fond out how long till they are in the area.

BT....would never go back to ever again, Broadband was awful and the TV service was rubbish

Sky was fault free and would go back but they cant match my Virgin speed and the Tivo box is brilliant
 Luke90 28 Apr 2015
In reply to arch:

If they can get a decent internet connection, I'd recommend skipping the expensive TV packages altogether and using a cheap set-top box to connect to Netflix, BBC iPlayer and/or one of the myriad of other internet TV streaming providers.
OP arch 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Luke90:

That's my line of thinking as well. Although the Daughter's BF is big into sports (about his only redeeming factor TBH) So some form of Sky Sports/BT sports would be needed.

We've got Sky Go, they could share that if the Internet is quick enough and they link a PC to their TV.
 Luke90 28 Apr 2015
In reply to arch:

If they're going that kind of route, I'd recommend a Chromecast/Roku Box/Sky Now TV Box or similar over connecting a PC. Turning on and working with a PC every time you want to watch TV is a major faff, unless you go with a full-on, dedicated (and expensive) Media Centre PC.
OP arch 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Luke90:

Thanks for the info.

I've just had a Google about and not only can't they get Virgin, they can't get BT Infinity either. 7Mb standard broadband is about the lot from BT.

...............Sky dish it is then.

A bit pi*s poor for a new build estate!!
 Luke90 28 Apr 2015
In reply to arch:

If they *actually* get a reasonably reliable 7Mb, don't rule out streaming altogether, that should be enough to give them decent quality if they're not trying to run multiple streams simultaneously.

I'm stuck on 3.5Mb, on a good day, and that's still almost enough.
OP arch 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Luke90:

I suppose getting broadband first and then see what happens from there. They could try our Sky go for a while and see if it's ok.

BT Infinity is on the main rd, just not been installed onto the estate.

Thanks again,

Arch.
OP arch 28 Apr 2015
In reply to arch:

What about EE TV ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...