UKC

Hand held gimbal for smooth video recording

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 30 Apr 2015
I was going to post a reply on the GoPro thread that I started but it appears that the subject has been locked. No worries.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=611573

Towards the end of the discussion ChrisJD posted a couple of links to some action vids that he created. At the time I commented that like so many GoPro/mobius movies taken, I got distracted from the subject matter by the camera shake. This was by no means a criticism aimed at ChrisJD but rather the nature of the beast when holding a small light camera in your hand and something which put me off my own video offerings.

At the time I mentioned that I was considering buying a hand-held gimbal to try and eliminate camera shake. Well the gimbal arrived a couple of weeks ago and I've had a chance to play with it. I chose a gimbal that would take my mobile phone rather than specifically buying one dedicated to using a GoPro. My intention is to design an attachment that will accept my Mobius. That way I will have the best of both worlds by using my phone and my small action camera.

Enough of all that, does it work?

I think it does, and I'm more than happy with the results. Even though I have created two short vids of mundane subjects, I have to say that I am impressed with how stable the results were. Admittedly there is not much in the way of action on the capturing of the footage, however I can report that a friend tested the gimbal by pointing the phone out of the car window while driving on an exceptionally bumpy road. The results were of a smooth video of the road ahead of us.

My next test is to duct-tape the gimbal to my mate's mountain bike and see what happens from there. I may even take it bouldering over the next few weeks to.

Good bye camera shake.

Here's a couple of youtubes of my limited directorial skills. However I hope that you focus on the steadiness of the video, rather than the boring subject matter.

youtube.com/watch?v=n9VLldYW0yc&

youtube.com/watch?v=tp4WeYgWL6E&

d_b 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Looks a lot better than nothing. Pretty portable too.

I'm a bit disappointed you didn't get a full sized steadycam though.
 jkarran 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

There's a slight fidgity motion apparent when you're holding the gimbal nearly stationary, probably just a function of the actuator resolution (model aircraft servos or stepper motors?) but I suspect that will disappear into the general background motion once attached to something moving a bit quicker.

Can't you get software to do this these days?

jk
Post edited at 12:00
Rigid Raider 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

The first video sways around a bit and makes me feel a bit giddy TBH.
Lusk 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

> Here's a couple of youtubes of my limited directorial skills. However I hope that you focus on the steadiness of the video, rather than the boring subject matter.

It'd have been funny if the dog pushed your mate off the tree!

OP The Lemming 01 May 2015
In reply to Lusk:

Twas I in the tree.

As for the other comments above, I too have noticed some juddering/stepping. Not too sure if this is a problem of the gimbal or the phone but I suspect the phone. I am going to make a gizmo which will let me use the Möbius and see if that makes a difference.

But on the whole, the footage is superior to holding my phone/camera by hand.

Still learning the gimbal's limitations.

I will still probably try to build one but with only two motors so I can mount it to a moving vehicle like a bike.
Lusk 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

> Twas I in the tree.

That would've been even funnier!

balmybaldwin 01 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Not sure what Gimbal it is, but I think that shake when stationary is likely to be that the camera is not balanced well for the motors. You may also find that there's a different firmware you can use for the control board to reduce the problem.

OP The Lemming 01 May 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:
Thanks for the ideas which I will look into over the coming weeks.

As for the camera being properly balanced, I'm guessing that this is more the issue as the gimbal is designed for a broad range of devices rather than one specific product like a gopro.

A bit of fine tuning is required on my part there.

Cheers

http://swiftcam.com/#/mobile/m3l
Post edited at 20:48
OP The Lemming 04 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Just made jigg to allow me to use my Möbius with the swiftcam. I wanted to see if I still got jerky movements while panning and I can report that the Möbius movements are as smooth as butter.

I'm guessing that the test shots with the jerky movements boil down to a phone trying to be a video recorder. Jack of all master non sort of thing.

I'm even more impressed with the swiftcam going off the Möbius.
OP The Lemming 08 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Well here's a test video of the mobius + Swiftcam. The footage is quite bland but it looks a lot more smooth than using the phone. I have a feeling that the settings were wrong on the phone. However I shall have a play tomorow while climbing.

youtube.com/watch?v=skGptPsGsU8&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...