UKC

Baildon Bank - Scar Buttress descent route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PontiusPirate 30 Apr 2015
I was up there last night, and noticed a development that people should be aware of:
The wall above the scramble descent from Scar buttress has suffered a collapse recently, so is now threatened by loose rock (you could argue that it always was! Except now its worse and more obvious), while the collapse itself has completely undercut the earth ridge that is the walk off from the top of the Rip buttress.
Tread carefully and move quickly.

While we're on the subject, can any of the locals comment on whether the crack running across the top of Scar buttress itself is definitely getting wider or not. I feel that it is (you never used to be able to peer into the depths of buttress), but I'd like a second opinion! Curiously, the front of the buttress doesn't seem to getting any steeper.

Oh, and can people be gentle and not bounce when abseiling of the top of Epitaph as the fixed rope used for this purpose does now run over a fairly sharp edge (I assume it's stretched with age and use).

This has been a PSA.

PP.
 1poundSOCKS 30 Apr 2015
In reply to PontiusPirate:

> Curiously, the front of the buttress doesn't seem to getting any steeper.

Maybe the back will fall into the quarry. Goodbye Whillans Arete.

I might go have a look this afternoon, I wanted to do a couple of routes on there.
 1poundSOCKS 30 Apr 2015
In reply to PontiusPirate:

I've had a look and I'm not sure anything has changed, the descent or the crack on top, but I don't normally pay that much attention.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...