UKC

Walkie Talkie Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jockster 30 Apr 2015
Hi

I am looking for a recommendation for a set of 4 walkie talkies to be used by school teachers when supervising DoE groups.

Key features wanted:
- Durable/tough/long lasting
- 5+ km range
- reasonably simple to use

Have a bit of cash to spend so more premium brands OK

Many thanks for any help, cheers, Simon
In reply to jockster:

Hi Simon,

I've got a pair of Binatone Terrain 750s (Also come in a 4-pack)
They've been pretty thoroughly tested; work fine up to 5km as long as there's no Gabbro hills in between the two of you (I'm looking at YOU Carrock Fell), got a patchy signal up to 9km over hilly ground, 8km worked fine from different peaks.
As for durability; they've been kicked about, thrown in bags, clipped to harnesses, dropped off Tremadog (turns out you SHOULDN'T clip it to a harness) and left in a stream for a bit - and they're still going great!
Battery needs charging every night if they're left on all day. Comes with NiMH packs, but takes standard AAA as well.
You can also listen in to two channels at a time - good for supervising groups.

Hope that helps,
George
 Rob Parsons 30 Apr 2015
I'm also interested in recommendations for a good quality pair.

George wrote:
> I've got a pair of Binatone Terrain 750s (Also come in a 4-pack)

Thanks for that. A quick look at some on-line reviews for those isn't completely convincing: maybe that's QA issues; some folk getting duff sets; or just unrealistic expectations?

More importantly though George: can you make them disappear?

climber david 30 Apr 2015
In reply to jockster:

If you have the cash to spend then buy proper licenced sets from a reputable radio supplier. VHF sets will probably be best in the hills but a dealer would be able to advise best
 SteveD 30 Apr 2015
In reply to jockster:

Look at the Intek MT range I have the mt5050 and they are the best ones I have used so far. You will need some waterproof cases I use aquapacs they are OK.

http://www.intek-radios.co.uk/shop/dual-standard-lpdpmr-transceivers/intek-...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...