UKC

Windstopper - what's the point?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 30 Apr 2015
I see a lot of manufacturers using Windstopper in their products.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it contains a membrane and therefore is as breathable or slightly more breathable than a Goretex hardshell but not completely waterproof.
Surely you might as well just wear a hardshell.

The only benefits I can see are the soft face fabric, more stylish and slightly more stretchy.

Is there anyone who disagrees with me?
 JayPee630 30 Apr 2015
In reply to blue_sundown:

I agree, I've had one or two Windstopper things over the years and think it's rubbish. Would never buy it again. And guess it's largely been superceeded by some newer materials.
 marsbar 30 Apr 2015

I had a windstopper fleece back in the day. It was warm. It was ideal for cold windy days. I didn't find breathability a problem as it wasn't something you would wear if you were hot. It would cope with unexpected rain pretty well and was more comfortable and insulating than a hard shell.

Hardshell for rain, not for cold.
 Jack_Lewin 30 Apr 2015

I have a critically taped windstopper softshell from norrona, designed for ski touring but it's the best bit of kit I own. Flexible enough to have used it winter mountaineering, summer Hill walking, climbing and on the bike.

That said I've never struggled with breathability in anything

planetmarshall 30 Apr 2015

> Is there anyone who disagrees with me?

Yes. I have a pair of Millet WDS storm pants and they're far more comfortable than a hardshell. Can't speak for breathability as it's not something I struggle with.

wbo 30 Apr 2015
In reply to blue_sundown: I'm also going to disagree - I use a softshell a lot more than I get my hardshell our - simple reason - usability.

Norrona as well

ben b 30 Apr 2015

Windstopper used to simultaneously manage to make me feel both cold and sweaty, which is quite a trick. I understand it has improved in the last year or so however.

b
 iksander 01 May 2015

Horses for courses

I think about clothes on 4 axes: temperature, humidity, wind and activity level

IMHO Windstopper is good for cold, dry, windy, moderate activity

Not often like that in the UK, like a lot of stuff I'd say it's pitched at the alpine/rockies market. Probably not surprising as the wet, mild and windy climate of the UK is relatively small market in comparison.
 galpinos 01 May 2015

No idea of the current range, my first softshell was the Mammut Ultimate Jacket in windstopper and it was the most useless jacket (bar loking quite smart down the pub) jacket I have ever owned. Too warm for it's breathability and put me off softshells for a while. Love them now though, just not with a membrane!
 planetmarshall 01 May 2015
In reply to iksander:

> Not often like that in the UK, like a lot of stuff I'd say it's pitched at the alpine/rockies market.

No, but the weather's not often severe enough to justify a hardshell either. I find Windstopper gear with DWR sufficient most of the time. It's all I wore for Scottish Winter this year.

Fredt 01 May 2015

Isn't the clue in the name?

If it were called 'Waterstopper', you may have a case.
 d_b 01 May 2015

Windstopper hat, mask and balaclava are three of the best pieces of kit I own.
 gethin_allen 01 May 2015

I agree, I have a mountain hardwear jacket made from the stuff and it's a bit rubbish TBH. The material isn't very warm and the seams are so leaky that even the slightest shower results in wet shoulders and because the material is quite stiff it doesn't sit so naturally and wind blows through all the openings. My ancient Rab cioch (I think) softshell jacket made of powershield is warmer, more comfortable, equally wind proof and more waterproof.

The only point that the windstopper material wins on is that it's lighter.

As an aside, we had a good chuckle while at the works a while back when we noticed the climber next to us was wearing tights with the windstopper logo on belt line just above her bum crack. Not the back product placement we thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...