UKC

Ben More Assynt / Glen Cassley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drmarten 01 May 2015
Is it possible to park up Glen Cassley near Duchally Lodge? I was hoping to be able to park in the vicinity and use the bridge just north of Dalnaclave to access Ben More from the east.
llechwedd 03 May 2015
In reply to drmarten:

Probably best to ask permission to park, by contacting the Balnagown estate.
 kwoods 03 May 2015
In reply to drmarten:

This wouldn't be a problem given it's a public road up to the lodge. Parking at the Lodge itself would be a different matter, worthy of permission.
 malky_c 03 May 2015
In reply to drmarten:

Have a look at Google Streetview. It's a pretty quiet Glen with little in the way of fences up the sides of the road. I'd be surprised if there isn't parking somewhere round where you want it.
 andrew ogilvie 03 May 2015
In reply to drmarten:

Apologies for unsolicited advice but there appears not to be much written about the approach to Ben More Assynt except from the Inchnadamph side .
SE Ridge( from point 960m marked on landranger) of this hill has a short exposed section requiring either an exposed traverse on the western side or an awkward step down a short step in the ridge crest. I was over this by myself in October under fresh snow a couple of years ago and, although I doubt you'd even notice this in summer conditions, it was more nervewracking than I'd been anticipating without crampons. You should be prepared for this if you're going up there after recent snowfalls.
drmarten 03 May 2015
In reply to thread :
Thanks for replies, tomorrows forecast means I'm going closer to home tomorrow morning, I'll save Assynt until the next decent spell of weather.
drmarten 15 May 2015
In reply to drmarten:
Well the weather improved and allowed me to get up to Assynt. I emailed the estate and to cut a long story short ended up calling the head stalker who was very pleasant and happy with me parking next to the suspension bridge. When I drove up the glen I parked just before Duchally Lodge (and it's Private Road - No Access sign). I parked in a small parking space on the left of the road where it is still public. I'm not that sure permission was needed but there you go.
I had a great day with cloudy chilly weather clearing to a beautiful sunny day, the south ridge has a granny stopper which is an easy scramble, but the ridge itself is very enjoyable. Stick to paths or tracks if possible, stay off the moors!
(My original plan of straight line over the moor went out the window once I saw the terrain..)
Edit : Andrew - there was snow on the hill, but none on the step, and yes I could see it would be a different proposition under snow.
Post edited at 21:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...