UKC

Recommendations for non-dairy protein powders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PontiusPirate 01 May 2015
I'm asking a lot of my body at the moment, plus I'm an old git, so consequently I'm starting to notice my recovery rates are slowing as it's very difficult to get the correct nutrients in the 'magic' half-hour after training.
The last time I was working this hard, I tried dried soy (edamane) beans, but I find them too dry and salty to be usefully palatable or digestible.

I'm trying to reduce the amount of dairy in my diet, so want to avoid whey-based products; consequently, I'm after people's personally experienced recommendations about non-dairy alternatives.

To be clear, this isn't about bulk, this is about optimising recovery.

I look forward to your considered replies.

Cheers,

PP.

Removed User 01 May 2015
In reply to PontiusPirate:

How about a nice pork chop?
punterpete 01 May 2015

I've switched over to a vegan protein blend made by a company called Arbonne as whey did unpleasant things to my guts. The one I'm using is mainly based on pea and brown rice protein and tastes good, mixes well and seems to work well.
There's some evidence that pea protein is as effective as whet at supporting recovery but without causing weight gain that can occur with whey.
I have a blog where I wrote a bit more about this and also set up a discount for the protein shakes etc. here's the article with a link to my supplier.

https://rockdoctoruk.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/fuelling-the-machine-some-tho...

I'll try to get a link up to the product page later when I'm home.

punterpete 01 May 2015

Here are the links to the protein shakes. It comes in two flavours;

Chocolate:
http://www.arbonne.com/PWS/jojohnson/store/AMUK/product/Protein-Shake-Mix-P...

And Vanilla:
http://www.arbonne.com/PWS/jojohnson/store/AMUK/product/Protein-Shake-Mix-P...

You can also get nutrition bars which have 10g of vegan protein each as well.
Removed User 01 May 2015

I'm ok with dairy stuff but if I wasn't I'd be going with hemp protein... It's made from hemp, what's not to like.
There's loads out there, just Google it. Unfortunately any protein powder not made from whey seems to be more expensive.
 alexm198 01 May 2015

SIS Rego Rapid Recovery is quite good and dairy free.
 The Potato 01 May 2015

I'm milk protein intolerant so have looked in to this. I buy from MyProtein website, I didn't like pea protein and wasn't keen on egg powder. My recommendation is carnipro, beef extract, I find the banana flavour good

Let me just save you the hassle and experimentation I have done over the years.

Hemp - Natural but strong flavour and relatively low protein content. Higher in omega oils, but that's usually not why you're taking it.

Rice - fairly digestible but has the consistency of sand and has a flavour that is hard to cover up.

Pea - the best of all. Mixes well, great texture, cheap, digestible, 80% protein content and has a flavour that tends to take on other things quite well.

I get Pulsin Pea protein in the large bags. It's unflavoured so I can put it into virtually anything (brownies, shakes, even savoury dishes). If you want to flavour it just pour in a bottle of vegan hot chocolate powder. Personally I just use sweetened rice milk and cocoa - and sometimes a banana if I need the extra boost.

jsmcfarland 01 May 2015

I've been taking Whey (though like you im reducing my dairy intake, whey protein powder is literally the only dairy I consume) after climbing and during heavy training periods.

I'm going to go with pea or soy, hemp is great but tastes absolutely disgusting and the texture is like dirt (I've tried several different brands). Bulkpowders or myprotein are good and cheap if they have what you want

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...