UKC

Conglomerate Trad Rack (Montserrat)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 02 May 2015
Going to Montserrat soon, and thinking about doing some trad there.

I've climbed some bolted routes there, but I didn't see any potential gear placements on them. Is there particularly useful or useless gear for protecting on conglomerate?
 Derry 02 May 2015
In reply to humptydumpty:

only been there once, but used a bit of gear in between some of the sparsely spaced bolts. Found a few threads for slings and oddly small cams/medium sized nuts fitted quite well between protruding 'spuds'.

Enjoy
OP humptydumpty 02 May 2015
In reply to Derry:

Thanks - that's some useful info. A separate question: any idea if the gear would actually hold a fall?!
 Derry 02 May 2015

I'm not sure about a 30 foot whipper, but definitely a small fall. All dependant on the actual placement of course. If you're doing just natural pro, I'm guessing its up some crack line in the conglomerate and not just clove-hitching protrusions. From what I remember of the crack systems, they're really compact i.e. not much loose stuff. Although we were on fairly classic (i.e well trodden) routes.
 Mr Lopez 02 May 2015

> I've climbed some bolted routes there, but I didn't see any potential gear placements on them.

That's why they were bolted...

A standard rack will get you up most things there. Small gear (Aliens, IMP's), pitons/knifeblades and hangers are necessary or recommended in some routes, but that'll be forewarned in the topo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...