UKC

The Souter sea stack bird ban

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 baileyswalk 02 May 2015
The Souter (Fastcastle)

The info regarding the bird ban is a bit misleading... On one hand it says bird ban in place April - July, on the other hand it says don't disturb any birds if climbing. Also over the years you can see people have logged climbs in this April- July period... So, how strict is it?
 Mark Collins 03 May 2015
In reply to baileyswalk:

Having been the victim of similar contradictory advice at another location, my advice is to steer well clear.

If you encounter information suggesting a ban, don't go.

If you don't find a ban, turn up at a location, and then encounter birds on a route, or experience an indication that birds are displeased by your presence, turn around and leave.

Basically, trust in your own instincts and don't be swayed by being given authority by others to climb, when things don't feel right.

You will sometimes find people logging routes during a bird ban, I've also seen this. Its not good in my eyes, lets hope they're in the minority. Perhaps a few dnf's with notes logged on particular routes may make people think twice beforehand, or at least guilty afterwards.
 Michael Gordon 03 May 2015
In reply to baileyswalk:

Is that the one on the Berwickshire coast? Can't remember what time of year I did it but most of the birds are on the landward face, i.e. not the usual route. Seems like a strange place for a ban anyway - I'd have thought it would only be things like fulmars there, but happy to be corrected.
OP baileyswalk 03 May 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Yea that's the one. I'd have thought it was OK to climb if there were no nests on route... think I'll just hold off tho as its not clear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...