UKC

Cairngorm plateau-snowy or scoured?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 03 May 2015
'ow do all?
I've been offshore for ages so haven't really been keeping up with conditions in the hills, except I know its snowed in the Highlands recently (and is today by the forecast tho' chucking it down in Fife on the northbound train). Can someone shed some light on touring conditions on the Cairngorm plateau, as accessed from Aviemore area, please?
Im guessing winter climbing has finished in the East and the Ben is the final bastion of winter?
Cheers, Lex
 Only a hill 03 May 2015
In reply to lex:

From what I hear, an excess of snow is the problem at the moment, rather than a lack of it.
OP lex 03 May 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Sounds pretty good for a careful ski tour, then. Hats off to SAIS!
Cheers, Lex
 AdrianC 03 May 2015
In reply to lex:

Yesterday (Sat 2nd May) we skinned up from the ski area (having walked about halfway to the mid-station) skied down a wee way into Coire Raibert, skinned round to Cairn Lochan then had a very pleasant ski down to about 800m in Lurcher's Gully before walking back. Other than the walking at start & finish we had skis on all the time.
OP lex 03 May 2015
In reply to AdrianC:

Cheers, useful info. Forecast looks good for tomorrow, what a welcome back to land!
Lex
 Mike-W-99 03 May 2015
In reply to lex:

There were plenty of folk touring in braeriach yesterday. Decent coverage high up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...