UKC

Repairing a Source Liquitainer bottle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
llechwedd 03 May 2015
Has anyone attempted a repair of these foldable 2l bottles (not the hydration bladder things)?
There's no identification on the bottle to say what sort of plastic they are. I think it's polyethylene.
Googling PE repairs, I seem to get a lot of info on kayaks being repaired with a plastic welding gun. Trying that on a thin walled bottle, I'm likely to end up with more holes.
I might try melting a milk bottle, which I think is PE, onto it. Anyone have any other ideas?
 Greasy Prusiks 03 May 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

Maybe a pond liner repair kit? They're pretty ttough.
llechwedd 03 May 2015
In reply to ACollins:

> Maybe a pond liner repair kit? They're pretty ttough.

I think they're butyl rubber/EPDM so not sure there's chemical compatibility. Also, pond liner's rather bulky . You might be onto something though- I wonder if a bicycle puncture repair patch would hold?

I've two of these bottles in need of repair. One has holes made by a Raven's beak, the other has pinhole/ small nicks in it.
 Greasy Prusiks 03 May 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

Hmm yeah I'm not too up on the chemistry of it. I just thought they're tougher basically. You can buy tape for pond repair that might do it? I know a lot about pond repair, it comes from an unfortunate incident with a frozen pond and a new ice axe needing testing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...